• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dually Rims for HMMWV Tires

Stonepicker1

Ok, I have a 1986 M1028A2 Dually. looking for dually 8 lug rims in 16.5x9".

I got a price from "Stockton Wheel" in CA to have them made for $2169.00 delivered.
This is for 7 custom made steel 16.5x9" dually rims($205 ea rim) and two, 2" steel spacers(between the rear wheels) $425.00 for the pair.

I have 12 new 37x12.50x16.5 HMMWV tires now and looks like I can get more at a good price. This is the only reason why I'm not going with the 16" rims with bigger tires(something like 305x??x16).
I also have a lift kit for the dually so the HMMWV tires will fit.

Anyone know of a cheaper place? closer to Florida? or have a better ideal on what rims to get? I want to stay with duals on the rear.

Attachments

Tplane37

I know this thread is a few years old, but it is the only one I have found that is right on key for what I am searching for... running 37x12.50R16.5's on a GM dually.

I am running a civvy '85 C30 Crew Cab with a M1009 6.2L in it. I am planning to build up the chassis (driving build) for putting an Urban Gorilla on the chassis down the road with a drop-side cargo bed (e.g. crew cab HMMWV replica with a cargo bed instead of an integrated bed like a HMMWV pickup), when I do that, I want to run the 37" HMMWV tires, but want to keep duals on the rear. I'd like to find a set up that will let me run stock HMMWV rims on the front and find rears that match the looks of the front but allow for the offset for rear duals. I plan to use a SAS conversion kit from Bloody Knuckle Garage to put the front axle in using coil front springs instead of leafs... this will also let me move the front axle 2-3" forward to keep a lower stance while still allowing for wheel travel and tire clearance up front (plus a 2wd truck was less than 1/2 the price of a 4x4 with the same options...even with the SAS conversion, I'm still paying less than I would have for a factory 4x4).

Since you have done at least a little research on this topic, as far as the tires and wheels are concerned on a M1028A2, what has your experience been here? How'd you come up with needing the 2" spacers between the duals? Do you know what kind of spacer is needed to run stock HMMWV rims on the front of a factory dually? Why won't factory 16.5" dually rims work (I know, they don't match the HMMWV wheels, but I may have to 'ease' my way into the wheel package, so I am making contingency plans as well)? Just want to pick your brain on this side of things and would like to see some pictures of the set up you ended up running and would like some feedback on if you'd do it the same again, or if you might have taken a different course of action if you had to do it again.

Thanks!
Dustin

Last edited:

ranchhopper

Get the wheels made in arkansas by marsh racing wheels they will make them for you with the correct offset so you dont need spacers they are the most reasonable with price too.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is one member here that put 6 HMMWV rims on his Dodge Dually. He has a friend make spacers that mount the rear rims face to face. They actually look very cool. He's running the HMMWV 37s on the Dodge. It's pretty durable too, its his work truck.
Other option is widening rims, there is a bone yard up here with several 16.5 dually rims.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I can't for the life of me recall the companies name, but they're a wheel company in Florida. Before I went with recentered HEMTTs on my deuce, I was going to get them to make a set of one piece wheels. As I recall they only wanted $280-ish per wheel, hands down the best price around.

I think I recall the person Recovry4x4 is talking about, he is a member on another board I used to admin. As I recall, he found the 16.5" dually rims on a mobile home chassis.

A quick check on a popular auction website came up with a ford dually wheel with a purchase price of $44.99.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long Wheel is the company you are trying to recall. The guy I'm referring to has all HMMWV 12 bolt rims with a well engineered adapter that allows them to be installed face to face. I need to see if I can find him and get some pics. He's a member here but I don't recall him ever posting.

Tplane37

There is one member here that put 6 HMMWV rims on his Dodge Dually. He has a friend make spacers that mount the rear rims face to face. They actually look very cool. He's running the HMMWV 37s on the Dodge. It's pretty durable too, its his work truck.
Other option is widening rims, there is a bone yard up here with several 16.5 dually rims.
Long Wheel is the company you are trying to recall. The guy I'm referring to has all HMMWV 12 bolt rims with a well engineered adapter that allows them to be installed face to face. I need to see if I can find him and get some pics. He's a member here but I don't recall him ever posting.
That's good to know. I was considering something like that but wasn't sure if it would work since I don't have a set of HMMWV wheels nearby to look at. As for the spacers in the rear, I can understand the need for them to mount the wheels face to face (spacer would actually sit slightly inside each wheel on the rear)...but I wonder if he also had to add 2" to the spacers or if he had them set up so the wheels basically sit flush against each other with the spacer only being there to allow the wheels to be torqued down. Does that make sense?

There are only two reasons I can think of, logically, that would require the extra 2" gap between the rear duals. (1) Just like trying to put 395's on my M211, the rear tires are close enough to rub each other, so the rear duals have to either be spaced far enough apart to keep them from rubbing or the rear wheels have to be custom machined to give the same effect. And (2) Duallies are notorious for getting mud packed in between the rear duals causing a loss of traction offroad, spacing out between the rear duals "might" help out with that. There is a third option, but it serves as more of an eye-pleaser than for a functional purpose... wider is better and just looks cool (to an extent).

For the front just find a DRW Dana 60 and use the original DRW hubs - no spacer needed.
This was something else I was curious of. I know the SRW trucks need spacers because (and please correct me if I am wrong) the HMMWV wheels have a 7" offset and typically, a centered wheel will fit just about anything, so a 2.25" - 3.5" spacer would be needed to fit HMMWV wheels on a SRW truck. But on a DRW truck, there is already a factory "spacer" on the front axle that allows for the bud style factory wheels to bolt up in the front (allowing the carrying of just one spare instead of a spare front wheel and a spare rear), and the rear hubs already widen the mounting surfaces for the same purpose.

But on the rear, the DRW hubs only add about 2.25" more clearance than the SRW on each side (72" from mounting surface to mounting surface for DRW vs. 67.5" on SRW - Corp. 14b). Without pulling my rear duals, I am curious if the 4.75" (HMMWV offset of 7" minus the 2.25" extra width) is enough clearance on the rear? I know you can run 10" wide centered wheels on a SRW without issue, leaving you with 5" of wheel to the inside of the mounting flange, so adding an extra 2.25" to the width should allow for up to a 7.25" backspace on the inside rear dual before spacing is needed... so I guess this really boils down to, am I correct on the backspacing of the HMMWV wheel, and is the back spacing the same for the 8, 12, and 24 bolt versions?

I like the idea of running stock, unmodified HMMWV wheels all around. This would allow me to carry just on spare, they would fit the 37x12.50R16.5 tires, the HMMWV style would be there to complement the Urban Gorilla body, and if I bend up a wheel or otherwise damage it at some point, I would just have to come up with another HMMWV wheel to mount up instead of having to have another custom wheel made (which beyond the price issue, leaves me depending on the company that makes the first set still being around if I have to have another one made because I do something stupid...which I will, Murphy seems to like me). I am really interested in knowing more about the spacers for between the rear duals, and knowing how a HMMWV wheel looks on the "back side," I assume it looks a whole lot like the front side, but I have never paid that much attention to the backside in the past. I wonder if any machining had to be done around the lug nut flanges on the HMMWV wheels to allow for the spacer to sit flush.

And thanks for all the prompt replies here! I guess searching for the right thread really does pay off here, even if the right thread only has one post that's 3 years old when you find it![thumbzup]

EDIT: I found this thread on the HMMWV wheels/tires. Seems to have good information in it regarding some of my above questions and some of the above answers. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?37371-The-411-h1-hummer-wheels-tires

Last edited:

Dukeboy

Tplane this sounds like a cool project, can't wait to see what you come up with. If anyone has a photo of that Dodge Dually running 6 HMMWV rims please post it, I'd like to see how that looks from the rear.

Tplane37

Any luck remembering which member this was?

jtonguam

Eagle Alloy has a dually 16.5x9.8 rim. series 058 if i remember right. It should fit a 37x12.5r16.5 like the goodyear mtr that the hummer runs with no problem. not sure of the cost. you'd have to find a distributor near you and check i guess

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Before anyone jumps on the new guy, He is the owner of the CL ad so it is allowed.

However this thread was started before the rules for posting for sale items where updated.

This "ad" for wheels can stay, but Lyke18, you really need to become a paying member and post your wheels in the classifieds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks