• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECV Humvee AC kit on a M1123/M998

Hummer Guy

Has anyone ever gone with putting an AC kit from the ECV humvees on the M1123? I know there's quite a few humvees with the red dot AC, but I hate the big bulky condenser having to be mounted on the outside and the evaporator on the inside is way too bulky and take a ton of cargo space. I seen on the newer humvees the AC is on the dash like normal and the condensers are mounted in the fenders, has anyone ever install this on a M1123? The only AC kit that I see similar is the one from restomod.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have done it. There is not a kit that I know of, I went to the TM and ordered all the individual parts and installed them. The parts list is extensive and expensive but it can be done. OEM parts to do this (not sure at today's prices) will probably run around 9K +.

Hummer Guy

I have done it. There is not a kit that I know of, I went to the TM and ordered all the individual parts and installed them. The parts list is extensive and expensive but it can be done. OEM parts to do this (not sure at today's prices) will probably run around 9K +.
9k, holy, didn't think it'll be that much to try and source all the parts for it. I saw this video on youtube
I really like this solution for an AC system since its small and not a space taker

Last edited by a moderator:

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After owning my M1123 for awhile now I realized that I wanted a/c also. After looking at the cost and most of the aftermarket kits I didn’t care for as much as the newer oem setup. I decided that it would be more cost effective to buy a M1165 and so that’s what I did. I will probably put a soft top on my m1123 and call it a day. So I got ac, hardtop, turbo, tach and airlift bumper for 1,100 more than I paid for my m1123! That’s a great deal

Hummer Guy

After owning my M1123 for awhile now I realized that I wanted a/c also. After looking at the cost and most of the aftermarket kits I didn’t care for as much as the newer oem setup. I decided that it would be more cost effective to buy a M1165 and so that’s what I did. I will probably put a soft top on my m1123 and call it a day. So I got ac, hardtop, turbo, tach and airlift bumper for 1,100 more than I paid for my m1123! That’s a great deal
How much you paid for your M1165? I'm thinking about doing the same close to the end of the year, I want a slant back humvee but after looking at the price of the kits, it seems like I do better just getting an ECV with the slant back, plus I done gotten to really like the radio communication top on my humvee

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have an unused red dot system with a condenser for under the wheel well. I bought the red dot new but never installed it. The condenser is used (for under the wheel well).

Feel free to PM me as I do not believe I will be installing this unit into my M1025A1 as Steve has helped me with obtaining an ECV.

badger_610889

Hi folks,
My slant back came with a red dot and while I enjoy the ice cold AC, I hate how much room the condenser takes, but I guess it's part of its desert look so I'll keep it like that.
However on the M1123 which came barebone and that I'd like to setup as a utility pickup, I've started to consider the wheel well condenser option - amongst others including universal kits.

I haven't found yet any overall diagram showing the install of the red dot in wheel wells, and my understanding is that 2 condensers are installed one on each side, is that right?

badger_610889

Congrats! The M1165 is a fantastic machine. How would you compare the overall owner experience with the 1123?

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats! The M1165 is a fantastic machine. How would you compare the overall owner experience with the 1123?
It sucks compared to my M1123. Lol I’m still trying to get my M1165 running. I think I will love the hardtop and ac. Turbo too. I really like the simplicity of my M1123 and it runs perfect

badger_610889

It sucks compared to my M1123. Lol I’m still trying to get my M1165 running. I think I will love the hardtop and ac. Turbo too. I really like the simplicity of my M1123 and it runs perfect
Thanks, simplicity is what made me want a M1123. I like how they look, as well, but thats more subjective.
I'll wait to learn more about your experience once the 1165 runs.

Maxjeep1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks, simplicity is what made me want a M1123. I like how they look, as well, but thats more subjective.
I'll wait to learn more about your experience once the 1165 runs.
I don’t like the extended front end and the 3 foot long generator is going to get replaced

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi folks,
My slant back came with a red dot and while I enjoy the ice cold AC, I hate how much room the condenser takes, but I guess it's part of its desert look so I'll keep it like that.
However on the M1123 which came barebone and that I'd like to setup as a utility pickup, I've started to consider the wheel well condenser option - amongst others including universal kits.

I haven't found yet any overall diagram showing the install of the red dot in wheel wells, and my understanding is that 2 condensers are installed one on each side, is that right?
So the dual condensers in the ECV/REV trucks is because one is for the front aircon (in dash) and the other is for the rear aircon (mounted between rear seats on top of tunnel)
If you are doing a Red Dot evaporator with fender condenser, you only need one of the condensers for it to function.

There isn't an install diagram, because these fender units are factory installed.

It doesn't have to be perfect. About the only thing that truly needs to be lined up is the cover plate, as the two top holes that are close together are for the cargo cover tie down bracket/footman loop if you are planning to ever get a soft top to cover the cargo area.

I did a thread during my fender condenser install that might help a little

Madball90

So the dual condensers in the ECV/REV trucks is because one is for the front aircon (in dash) and the other is for the rear aircon (mounted between rear seats on top of tunnel)
If you are doing a Red Dot evaporator with fender condenser, you only need one of the condensers for it to function.

There isn't an install diagram, because these fender units are factory installed.

It doesn't have to be perfect. About the only thing that truly needs to be lined up is the cover plate, as the two top holes that are close together are for the cargo cover tie down bracket/footman loop if you are planning to ever get a soft top to cover the cargo area.

I did a thread during my fender condenser install that might help a little

The US Army now has a different A/C set up for the M-1151/1165/1167. They got rid of the condensers up in the rear wheel wells.
They now install the condenser on the radiator. All other parts remain the same.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The US Army now has a different A/C set up for the M-1151/1165/1167. They got rid of the condensers up in the rear wheel wells.
They now install the condenser on the radiator. All other parts remain the same.
I wonder what else they have done to the cooling stack then, because just a few years ago they were burning up motors in a matter of weeks due to cooling issues when operating in the sandbox. I know many units added some electric fans to supplement the regular one and that seemed to help a lot, but adding more restriction for cooling if they aren't redesigning the whole cooling system just seems dumb to me.
But hey, I don't get paid by the government to fix what I screw up, so what would I know.

Madball90

I wonder what else they have done to the cooling stack then, because just a few years ago they were burning up motors in a matter of weeks due to cooling issues when operating in the sandbox. I know many units added some electric fans to supplement the regular one and that seemed to help a lot, but adding more restriction for cooling if they aren't redesigning the whole cooling system just seems dumb to me.
But hey, I don't get paid by the government to fix what I screw up, so what would I know.
Last time I worked on that style, I did not notice anything really different. Where I work, the big issue the get is from damaging the condenser/fans while training out in the desert…. We have about 125-150 HMMWV here, ECV and M-1123 variants. Most M-1123 variants do not have A/C.

DREDnot

My company pioneered the use of fender condenser in red dot equipped trucks…it’s a space game changer.
I'm planning on doing this on my M1123. I'm just going with the 2man passenger side condenser unit. Do you have a good set of dimensions to drill the six mounting holes in the top of the fender? I just want to drill them right the first time

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks