• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECV M1151A1 Wilwood Brake Calipers, Rotors, and Half shaft assembly HELP!

Mstng65HummrMan

I won a GovPlanet M1151A1 in non-running condition in June with a bunch of parts ”Harvested”. The Propeller Shafts were pulled and thrown in the cabin with Ujoints missing the caps, the Start Box and wire harness coupler was arc welded and fried, TCM and box missing, left rear seat missing, Starter missing, Start Switch missing, Coolant Temp Gauge missing, rear brake light assembly missing, Alternator mount bolts were loose with the rear support bracket lower engine bolt sheared, Serpentine belt and tensioner missing, and various fittings from the transmission were also gone.

I have sourced almost all the known missing parts, including a FANTASTIC CamoTekSystems Keyed Manual Glow Plug Start Box, New TCM w box, obtained new Exide Super Start 6TMF batteries from Orielly’s Auto Parts (522 bucks for both!), changed the thick smelly black pudding oil, drained the power steering fluid (as a result of popping the hose on the pump and dumping a huge amount on the shop floor trying to secure that Alternator mount bolt) and installed a new Transmission pan, filter, seal, gasket, pan bolts, and Dexron III (or so it says) Valvoline Transmission fluid. A bunch of missing bolts and nuts for clips, brackets, clamps, exhaust flanges, thermostat housing, Transfer Case Safety Wire assembly, coolant hoses, and many others were obtained from Ace Hardware over dozens of visits.

Got er off the delivery truck Aug 8th, and after much toil, fixin, and plenty of dollars in the swear jar on Sept 22nd she was powered on, Glow plugs manually charged, and she fired immediately!! All gauges showed functional and even has more than half a tank of fuel!!! (Drained some into a glas gar to check and appears good with no contaminants or water). Lights all work too.

Another area of issue was the braking system was missing the front left components. I had to get a NOS Willwood ECV 4 Piston Caliper, a NOS Vented 12 inch Rotor (USA OEM), New Pad kit (USA OEM) new Brake lines and caliper fitting, and new half shaft/rotor bolt and double lock washers from Hummer Parts Guy to complete the missing component from the front left wheel brake system. I got it all reinstalled and tried to tighten the caliper mount bolts which caused the caliper to come in contact with the rotor and lock up the front left wheel, half shaft, and rotor. I loosened the bolts until the rotor and wheel rotated and noticed a gap between the caliper and bracket.

My question is, are the calipers mountable all corners or front rear left right specific. From my research it should be good all corners. Also, can the rotor be installed flipped? Should the inside of the rotor hat be worn by the Differential mount flange, or should the Half Shaft flange be on the inside of the rotor hat? I think I may have it reversed.

Does the Caliper mount tabs go inside the brake mount bracket closer to the differential, or on the other side towards the wheel?

Please send any install pics or if you can clarify if the top of the brake rotor hat should face the half shaft or the differential.

One more question. Can the Power Steering Reservoir to Power Steering Pump rubber hose (3/4” x 4”) be replaced with fuel line hose in a pinch, or is it required to be the sleeved/bonded high pressure Power Steering hose? Pics attached of the hose in question

It seems as though the mechanics working on my M1151A1 forgot to insert the metal Power steering reservoir to pump tube into the Pump hose and just tightened away on the hose clamp! Hose popped off as I was trying to secure the loose alternator mount bolt under the thermostat housing causing quite the mess on the shop floor.

Thanks very much, cant wait to get this beast back on the trails!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as the way the brakes are set up you have a perfect example on the other side of the truck.
All power steering return hoses should be replaced with power steering return hose

Last edited:

Mstng65HummrMan

Thank you, I’ll inspect the passenger side caliper and rotor tomorrow. As for the Calipers are they front and rear interchangable, my part number is 6040401, 2530-01-565-9660 per Wilwood website it is a front ECV caliper.

I got the power steering hose and will put it on tomorrow as well Thanks!