• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electric M37

Johnbyrdgates

I’ve had this truck since it came out of government ownership in 1967 and used it as a farm truck for decades. Now it fetches firewood from the woods and makes regular dump runs and other pickup truck duty. I grew tired of fighting with ethanol in my carburetor and the impossibility of sourcing e0 gas in Mass. plus, the way things are going, I figure whoever owns this for the next 40+ years is not going to want a gas guzzling beast. Plus it’s fun to take these trucks apart. Everything unbolts.
In order to lighten the truck up, I’m making an aluminum bed to replace the rusted steel original. I’ve had to replace two of the bed supports as well due to rust. It seems the salt air around here has an affinity for good steel.
5760DC28-E592-4FAA-81F6-008D488EC9A9.jpeg

Last edited:

Johnbyrdgates

Where the gas tank was, I’ll install 6 Tesla model S battery modules in a thermoplastic battery box that I have yet to make. 6 more of the modules will reside where the radiator was (4) and between the rear axel and transfer case (2). I haven’t bought these yet. If you know anyone with a wrecked Tesla...😜
kidding - I’ll get them from one of the west coast suppliers.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome idea!

My commute is 27 miles, and I had found an old postal jeep near me with a blown engine for $500. I did a lot of research into building an electric vehicle out of it to go to work and back. This was back when it was a choice between heavy lead acid or unbelievably expensive alternatives. I never pulled the trigger, but often wish I had.

Very interested to see how this turns out!

Johnbyrdgates

Modern AC motors are a whole other animal. I actually won’t even need a reverse gear to go backwards. The motor controllers, with the flip of a switch, will slow the vehicle to a stop and the reverse it Check out EVWest’s website and YouTube videos. They show a guy driving a cab over VW about 40 mph and switching it into reverse on the fly. It just slows down, stops and begins to move backwards according to the driver’s throttle pressure.

Johnbyrdgates

I'll be very interested to hear how this works out for you.

How did you happen to choose that motor?

I assume you be including regenerative braking?
Right now, this is the only motor with similar hp specs to the 230ci Dodge. I’m sure that’ll change over the next few years. I don’t want to break axels, etc and am leaving the gearing stock. I hav removed about 1000 lbs of cast iron, steel, brass and fluids and am replacing that with about 800 lbs of motor and batteries. EVAmerica estimates I’ll get 100 miles to a charge with the Tesla’s. Definitely regenerative braking.

Johnbyrdgates

Am I correct in seeing that you are not using the 4 speed transmission but just going from electric motor to bell housing to the transfer case? Or am I just seeing it wrong in the pictures? Cool build want to see how it turns out.
I’m using the transmission although probably only in third gear. Electric motors don’t really ‘lug’, so starting off in third is possible. I have removed the clutch but will still be able to shift by matching speed to rpm and getting into 4th for my big trips to town...

troop2865

I am very interested and will be watching. I saw the Mike Brewer's show (Wheeler Dealers) regarding the EV West guys. They make some cool stuff. I also saw where a company is working with Ford to electrify the Mustang in the same way, still using the manual transmission. EV's are still limited in my mind, but for the right purpose or use.........

Jeep had their all electric Wrangler concept at this year's Easter Jeep Safari. It got a lot of attention.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

Johnbyrdgates

So, I’m working out the electrical controls: two Curtis controllers, throttle from a Smart car, battery boxes, framework modifications, etc. It’s slow going for me and I’m not hurrying lest I have an unsuccessful smoke test at the end of it all. Here’s my first attempt at a battery box. This one will hold 4 Tesla modules but I’ve since decided I can fit 6 up front so I’m going to add to this box. Plastic welding is interesting! It lays a bead that is stuck but still looks like a rod, unlike metal welding. It smells bad, so I do it outside.

Johnbyrdgates

Here are the controllers. One for the primary motor and one for the secondary. The motor is actually two armatures on the same shaft. It puts out 120 hp and way more torque than the axels would like - hence these things. They are programmable to limit torque at start-up and ramp up at whatever speed I think is safe.

Attachments

Johnbyrdgates

No clutch! Right now, I have only the rebuilt brake pedal and all new steel lines. I’m running DOT 5 in the system. By the way, that’s a GM double master cylinder I installed several years ago with the ‘Ugly Trucking’s’ front disc brake set-up. If you haven’t done this modification, I highly recommend it. The truck has great brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Johnbyrdgates

Here’s the motor, coupler and bell housing connected to the transmission. I got it down to 5 thousandth runout with my homemade coupler, which is spec for this transmission. The 0/2 welding wire is going to connect the 132V Tesla battery voltage to the controllers. This is serious voltage and the batteries are rated 232A continuos, so you could get in trouble if you didn’t use good stuff.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks