• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Electro Magnetic Pulse

Status
Not open for further replies.

WOLF DOG

I have a question about the modern day military vehicles and the affects EMP. I bought my 1970 M35A2 because I like the way they look, 6 x 6 capability, winch, ability to work on myself, and the simplicity of the electrical system. My understanding is that these old primitive trucks will not be affected by an electro magnetic pulse if exposed to a strong field from a nuclear blast or even the Sun which I have read is capable of emitting such an EMP wave. So my question is, will the electronics in the military vehicles of modern times be fried, rendering them useless, if they were to be exposed to an electro magnetic pulse, or is there some kind of protective field built into these vehicles making them immune to such forces?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I have a question about the modern day military vehicles and the affects EMP. I bought my 1970 M35A2 because I like the way they look, 6 x 6 capability, winch, ability to work on myself, and the simplicity of the electrical system. My understanding is that these old primitive trucks will not be affected by an electro magnetic pulse if exposed to a strong field from a nuclear blast or even the Sun which I have read is capable of emitting such an EMP wave. So my question is, will the electronics in the military vehicles of modern times be fried, rendering them useless, if they were to be exposed to an electro magnetic pulse, or is there some kind of protective field built into these vehicles making them immune to such forces?
Hi altitude EMP really shouldn't impact the older "points and plugs" military trucks.
Depending on how much you read, the batteries might get fried too though...

The trucks that we know about today are not specifically EMP Shielded to a high degree. Or at least from what I know, that isn't a high level "item of concern" at present. The diesel engines will run if you can get them cranked. On the other hand, every flippin military truck these days has an Allison automatic that does have sensitive electronics in/on them.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much greater chance that a Carrington event will happen again as it just happened 170 years ago. Back to the stone age overnight. Interesting read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks