• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ellsworth Recovery- with Drama

markmontana

Finally picked up the very first GL deuce I bought back in Dec 2009. Stored it at a friends place not far from Ellsworth. I wasn’t too careful about the overall condition of the truck, and didn’t preview, so it was a roll of the dice. While the truck is a little rough around the edges, it does have a great power train.

When we picked it up at Ellsworth AFB, the batteries were dead and no good. We threw in some Wally specials and she fired right up, and only spit out about 2 gallons of crap from the stack. The voltmeter never made it to the green, the generator was toast.

The solution was to install a new civy 24v alternator. Took about an hour and a half- I would highly recommend this if you need to make a change or have any alternator issues.

The big drama of the trip (590 miles) started as I stopped to take a pic at the Continental Divide (which I crossed 4 times on this route). I noticed some fuel dripping from the fuel shut-off cover. When I turned off the motor, the dripping stopped. After making sure fuel wasn’t getting into the crankcase, the trip resumed. (See the fuel on the door in the pic)

After about 10 miles, I looked out the window and saw fuel covering the rear of the front fender and the step was wet. I stopped again and found a much faster stream of fuel flowing while running. Only 10 miles to town (Rawlins, WY), so onward- but kept the speed down.

Stopped at Wyoming Diesel and they were kind and helpful and let me park and kinda hang out with the other broken down long haul truckers (that’s a story for another day). We discovered the #2 fuel line had a cracked ferrule at the IP, so it was easy to get one of my employees (back in Ogden) to run over the Boyce Equipment, buy a take-off line and overnight it. Popped it in the next morning, and not a bit of leakage, and none after the rest of the trip home.

I do plan to get a complete set of lines and carry them as spares- such an easy fix if you have a problem. Also installed the civy wipers while I was waiting for parts- and tested them thru several heavy thunderstorms. What a major difference.

All in all a good trip, a great running truck, solid and tight, tracked straight and true, got a bit under 9 mpg (that’s counting the leakage) and ran it at a steady 2300 RPM (53 mph true).

Attachments

WyoDeuce

Nice Deuce Mark. I picked up my deuce from Ellsworth last November. I also had dead batteries. We jumped it at the lot and drove it home to Laramie WY. We made the 350 mile trip without any trouble. We got lucky on that trip. I bet that your truck was a SD National Guard truck like mine.

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow, Layton and Laramie in the same thread! Used to be stationed at Hill and just got my W/W yesterday from Bret. Good looking truck, with a heater, even better! Two of my trucks have the air wipers and need what you did to yours. How did you do that and what parts / dealer did you use?

markmontana

Seth_O

Congrat's Mark - nice looking rig, with winch and heater too. Still waiting on my EUC. I'm still planning on shooting you a PM when it comes through, if that's ok.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks