• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

EMP Proofing HMMWV

Hummerhmm

I have an 1165 A1 With lots of electronics that do not appear to be EMP proofed. Please put on your tinfoil hats and join me as I begin my deep dive into this.

Here is what I have come up with so far.

This is a unit that attaches across battery terminals (not sure it will work with 24 volts)

T.R.A.P

They have other options on the site as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I have an 1165 A1 With lots of electronics that do not appear to be EMP proofed. Please put on your tinfoil hats and join me as I begin my deep dive into this.

Here is what I have come up with so far.

This is a unit that attaches across battery terminals (not sure it will work with 24 volts)

T.R.A.P

They have other options on the site as well.
Let us know how you are going to test your purchase to ensure it works

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
Truly EMP proofed ?? This Covid is showing its side effects. Really... you'll have much BIGGER problems than just a HumV.

Does it work for a meteorite strike too?

Looking for the keys to my spaceship 🚀 CAMO

Look up T R A P... then C R A P.

Last edited:

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just store the HMMWV underground in your fallout shelter. Make sure to incorporate a Faraday Cage in your shelter design. Don’t forget food, potable water, and air filtration system that will filter out the radioactive ashes of your neighbors and friends.
🤨

Hummerhmm

Let us know how you are going to test your purchase to ensure it works
lol. Cant test it. And agreed about potentially frying the smart box. Also if shtf or whatever you would probably be a lot better off in a lower profile vehicle. EMP attacks would be much less effective and more logistically difficult than biological warfare on a civilian population IMO as demonstrated by covid. Imagine something with higher mortality that spreads as easily. Not too far fetched given what we have seen so far about gain of function research funded by our government.

The EMP stuff is more of a fun thought experiment for me. If it isnt harmful to the vehicle why not? I am suprised that the military hasn’t effectively adressed it for conventional warfare with near peers. As you advance upon the enemy with ground forces an EMP would be logistically devastating.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We HMMWV owners have electric alternators that are unshielded and electric fuel pumps that are essentially unshielded so even though these are diesel engines with mechanical pumps, there are electronics that would be destroyed. Furthermore, if you were in the way of EMP, that would mean that you were also in the way of gamma radiation and you would have at most four days to live.

Only a tank or some other such sort vehicle would be able to create a faraday cage strong enough to resist that type of radiation, but humans would still be fried inside like they were in a microwave, but electronics should probably function and be protected by the thick metal skin.

18operator

I resided my barn with steel siding and have a metal roof on it, after that, I couldn't tune in my AM/FM radio until I ran an external antenna.

Hummerhmm

Another thing I thought about is the aluminum (poor conductor) would be advantageous overall because anything mounted to that would only be affected through the ground. Easier to isolate.

Action

We HMMWV owners have electric alternators that are unshielded and electric fuel pumps that are essentially unshielded so even though these are diesel engines with mechanical pumps, there are electronics that would be destroyed. Furthermore, if you were in the way of EMP, that would mean that you were also in the way of gamma radiation and you would have at most four days to live.

Only a tank or some other such sort vehicle would be able to create a faraday cage strong enough to resist that type of radiation, but humans would still be fried inside like they were in a microwave, but electronics should probably function and be protected by the thick metal skin.
1621800060110.png

Hummerhmm

Also here is a link to the Dr. Shilling stuff on his prepper website I lnked in the original post. He is legit. Electrical engineering from Auburn, currently a department head at NASA. For those of you enlisted types who dont think education is a measure of intelligence (I am definitely in that camp despite holding a doctoral degree myself) he joined the army right out of high school and was a paratrooper. So all of you legs out there should think twice before you start talking smack about his qualifications. If you don’t know what a leg is you are one.

Arthur Bradley

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter

An EMP event in itself would not be harmful to humans, it could be done in the atmosphere, EMP stands for electromagnetic pulse, it is only harmful to the microscopic connections inside semiconductor devices, well I guess it could blow out someones pacemaker or knock out medical devices which are keeping someone alive but not directly harmful.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks