• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

engine alternatives for the deuce?

Trudge

Sooooo i think i blew up my motor last night ........this seems like a perfect time/exscuse to drop in som emore diesel power.

what can i bolt to that trani?

can i get a cummins out of a five ton in there??

i got no prob fabbing it s what i do for a living

im looking for a diesel and reliable 200+ hp nothing crazy

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
There are a cubic bazillion threads in the Deuce modification & hot rodding section which cover all the various (5.9 Cummins, DT466, etc) engine swaps in great detail (tranny compatibility, weight, length, height, etc.).

mudguppy

i love cummins but ill be giving up over 100 CI going to the 5.9 .........and does it bolt to the trani?
apparently you believe that the stock multifuel was some sort of power house. while a cummins is smaller, the minum 6bta power ratings were still 30hp and 100ft-lbs higher than the multi' on a good day.

an SAE engine adapter can be used to mate the Cummins to the spicer.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Ref putting a 250 Cummins out of a 5 ton into a deuce the short answer is no....for several reasons.....weight (too heavy),
lenght (too long) and highth.
The 250 is very heavy for the amount of power it produces and you would also have to use the 250 bell housing and transmission'
more weight and lenght.
Check out wrecking yards and get a Cummins out of a Dodge pickup.....best option for the money IMHO.

Reactions: rtk

mudguppy

why 'upgrade' the turbo? do you mean go larger? unless you're going over 300hp, a larger turbo will just take more time to spool than stock.

unless you meant something else by 'upgrade'...?

Trudge

yeah i agree and i am a cummins man through and through.........i think my 465 has a bad head gasket but i wont know for sure untill the weather warms up and i can work outside

yeager1

I like the 12v 5.9's, but they are so **** popular you could find a mechanical DT466 for cheaper. More cubes, more robust engine, easy to find with air compressors, can be found stock up to 300 or so hp and the inline pump versions are just as easy to turn up as the 12v cummins.

donnie1939

hi i work for the board of ed lots of school buses have 5.9 in them and go on bid for very little money and the minimum
hp in the state of maryland for a bus is 210 just thought you might like to know

mudguppy

I like the 12v 5.9's, but they are so **** popular you could find a mechanical DT466 for cheaper. More cubes, more robust engine, easy to find with air compressors, can be found stock up to 300 or so hp and the inline pump versions are just as easy to turn up as the 12v cummins.
this is all true stuff. though, it is worth mentioning that the dt466 is a full-size medium duty engine. dimensionally, it's as large as the multifuel, so it would likely be almost a 'bolt-in', physically speaking. however, the dt466 usually uses an intercooler. also, the multifuel radiator will likely not keep up with the '466 - it may since you might never be able to make the '466 break a sweat. but, i want to bring these tow issues up as considerations - there isn't room for a larger radiator and intercooler under the 'A2 sheet metal.

medium duty engine by International, 466 cid. very popular, plentiful, very reliable, very 'horsepower friendly'. :beer:

What do you think of the DT360? Only because I have one of those. I was liking the idea of setting that into a bobber, someday....
the '360 is the little brother to the '466. this is about the exact same relationship as the 5.9 to the 8.3 liter Cummins. for all intents and purposes, it is exactly the same as the 5.9 Cummins as far as size, reliability, ease to work on, 'horsepower friendly', and ease to turn-up. in another forum, a gentleman just finished swapping one into a late model Super Duty; right now he's at about 500 rwhp and will be taking it to 600 very soon...... and just like the Cummins, this is all with basic fueling mods and on stock internals.

as was mentioned about the reputation, popularity, and lack of availability of the 5.9 Cummins, the DT360 is an over-looked treasure. use it!!!

mudguppy

hi i work for the board of ed lots of school buses have 5.9 in them and go on bid for very little money and the minimum
hp in the state of maryland for a bus is 210 just thought you might like to know
another benefit to getting the bus engines is either the air compressor if it has air brakes or the hydraulic brake system (booster and MC) that would be great for swapping into a deuce.

also, the 210 or 230 hp rated p-pump Cummins don't have emissions retard notches on the barrells in the injection pump. this is a slight advantage over the Dodge 215 version.

you'll get an auto tranny with the bus, usually an AT545 or AT1545. these would be a nice addition to a deuce, however these are non-overdrive transmissions, so top speed may suffer.

however, even if you don't use that tranny, you'll then have an SAE #2 engine adapter if you want to find another tranny to use when you swap into the deuce.... i'm just sayin'.... :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks