• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine fan in cold weather.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For the guys up north. When driving in cold weather "freezing or below" Does your engine cooling fan still come on every mile or so?

NormB

Went for a ride today - outside air temp was around 80 - 15 miles, engine temp didn't go over 195. No fan. Last time it went on was back in October when I picked it up. Unusually warm that day - 90+ - and highway speeds, fan cycled at the end of the trip.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the info. I'm planning on swapping to a 180 thermostat and possible a lower temp switch for the fan. Possibly a hood scoop. Right now the fan runs more than not. I was wondering at what point the outside temp would make a difference. Since it hardly ever gets cold here .

NormB

Thanks for the info. I'm planning on swapping to a 180 thermostat and possible a lower temp switch for the fan. Possibly a hood scoop. Right now the fan runs more than not. I was wondering at what point the outside temp would make a difference. Since it hardly ever gets cold here .
I've been in San Antone in January - those ice storms had me missing the preceding 110F in the shade summer. Houston's just a ways down the road.

Just a suggestion, comb out the fins on the cooling stack. I bought one of the gadgets through amazon, played around with it, haven't given the fins the full treatment, but I figure anything that helps move more air should cool things better.
Post pictures of your scoop.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will be swapping the engine for a GEP 6.5 this winter. The rad will be going to a local shop to be taken apart and cleaned. I'm thinking it might be clogged a bit.I've seen Pics of Humvee scoops in Iraq. I haven't made one yet. But I'm a machinist so fabing one like in the pics looks like it won't be too much trouble. I'll do a right up on it this winter.

erasedhammer

You'll want a high temp fan switch. I have a 200 degree switch and its annoying in 80-90 degree weather where the fan comes on every 5-10 minutes. I'm thinking of switching to the original 220 switch to stop the frequent fan usage.

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the factory system is up to spec,.... system works fine cold or hot.
There is only one factory temp switch.
Scoops will help if your moving up to speed, but not needed.
Out here in the desert 110 F...my old 6.2 fan hardly comes on unless I'm going faster than 55 which gets the temps up.

Last edited:

erasedhammer

If the factory system is up to spec,.... system works fine cold or hot.
There is only one factory temp switch.
Scoops will help if your moving up to speed, but not needed.
Out here in the desert 110 F...my old 6.2 fan hardly comes on unless I'm going faster than 55.
My switch turns the fan on at 200

Carrera911

Look at the temperature delta. If on a 90 degree day the engine would rise to say 240 (if the fan didn't come on for whatever reason) then on a 40 degree day the engine should only go to 190 (all things being equal). When its below 50 or so my fan rarely comes on except during extended WOT use.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm planning on swapping to a 330-180 thermostat and I found a 190 switch. I'd like to keep it in the 180 range. Even while off road in South Texas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks