• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine oil flush

3jacks

EUC was approved today (bought on 02/07, EUC filled on 02/08 and sent to GP). My M998 is on her way. 1992 with 41,000 miles on it (I know that is not reliable).

I'm preparing for a host of initial maintenance items and I searched the site without much to find about flushing the engine. For the experts here: is this something you recommend? If so what chemical agent do you recommend?

Thanks

Bravojmc

So I do a complete oil change and do another oil change about 50 after. I think doing more frequent oil changes for the first 500 miles should clean the engine oil pretty well.

3jacks

So I do a complete oil change and do another oil change about 50 after. I think doing more frequent oil changes for the first 500 miles should clean the engine oil pretty well.
Thanks Bravojmc,
first thing on the list is changing all fluids. If there is no (or little) sludge in the oil pan that's what I will do. If there is a bunch of gunk, I'll take the pan off and see how bad things look. I'm hoping the PM schedule kept this reasonably clean but who knows what will show up in my shop...

flushing a diesel seems to be rather polarizing topic elsewhere on the Internet. I do all the maintenance on my tractors and John Deere 555G so I was really looking for MV expert opinion on the matter (particularly with a 25 year old vehicle).

thanks

heavyzee

taking the pan off is a chore and a PITA... i'd avoid it maybe use some seafoam if you are really worried about it. it's a diesel, just change the oil and use a decent filter. don't worry about it

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Adding chemical cleaning agents to an engine is not the nicest thing to do IMHO... I'm no expert but if within 20 min this chemical is cleaning out your engine sludge don't you think the little bit you will keep in the engine would damage internals.:shock: How are you certain you will flush it all out? Wouldn't some stay in your pump?:shrugs: Use your best judgment my friend. If you see its really bad you could post pics and maybe someone can chime in.:beer: I would just perform multiple oil changes and move on to the next maintenance item. I am sure you have plenty of fun things to clean, paint, change, and fix. Keep us posted! and keep it documented im super curious and excited for your new truck! congrats!

If you are worried, add seafoam before change while its warm, run her for 30 minutes to desludge. Change oil and filter. Add bestline oil treatment and follow normal PM schedule. I remember reading that one of the engines has a lower section in the oilpan that may not get drained all the way. But i might be thinking of a 5ton....

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks