• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Paint

Capt.Marion

For painting the engine, do you only need hi-temp paint on the cylinder head, or do you need it somewhere else? (Obviously, I'm not considering the exhaust manifold and related exhaust paraphernalia in this question) Just wondering, because I've got a tractor to paint and while I've got the body panels off the front of the Power Wagon, I might as well take care of painting up there...

Thanks,
Ken

pedormont

Ken:

I painted my M37 engine with the same paint (GCI Marine Corps Green) as the sheet metal and dont have problems. I did however prime first with Rustoleum red primer. Both GCI and Aervoe have served me well. The enamels are terrific for everything on the trucks except exhaust maniolds and pipes.

zak

Some of the auto part chains have high temp engine paint, 1200 deg. They may have your color. Eastwood and POR make high temp manifold paint. This has held up very well on my m37.

Attachments

Bill W

Engines don't get as hot as the exhaust pipes do. I painted my 230 with Gilliespie 24087 and used a synthetic hardner, the only places I had a problem with was where the intake bolts upto the exhaust manifold ( little peeling ) and my stat housing faded/flattened just a touch

Attachments

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
One of the factors in answering your question - what color? If you are doing a factory-type restoration, the engine would not be the same color as the body. (Dode engines were grey or silver - just don't remember which at the moment). And a good auto parts store should be able to get you engine paint the right color.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks