• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine Rebuild

ogrove

I am planning to do an engine rebuild (bent piston connecting rod). Engine is 6.2L. Has anyone done an engine rebuild, or even just accessed the cylinders, without pulling the body off the frame. I have searched YouTube, but only found videos of complete overhauls and ridiculous modifications.

BLK HMMWV

I am planning to do an engine rebuild (bent piston connecting rod). Engine is 6.2L. Has anyone done an engine rebuild, or even just accessed the cylinders, without pulling the body off the frame. I have searched YouTube, but only found videos of complete overhauls and ridiculous modifications.
You can take the entire power plant out (engine ,trans, transfer case, in one piece ) without removing the body.
If I had the motor out I'd replace it with a 6.5 NA before I put the 6.2 back in it.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can take the entire power plant out (engine ,trans, transfer case, in one piece ) without removing the body.
If I had the motor out I'd replace it with a 6.5 NA before I put the 6.2 back in it.
I was going to say the same thing. There are plenty of 6.5's out there. Nothing wrong with a good running 6.2, but I'd take a 6.5 over one. Contact TNJ Murrray in DE. John has some available.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless the 6.5L is a GEP it has no real advantage over the 6.2L (unless you get one with the complete serpentine belt setup) having said that there are probably more 6.5L diesels available, if something broke inside your 6.2L then replacement engine would probably be much cheaper than a rebuild.

ogrove

Thank you for the straight forward answer, and the recommendation. When you upgrade to the 6.5 NA, do you also have to upgrade transmission to 4L80E, or is that only with the 6.5 turbo?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you for the straight forward answer, and the recommendation. When you upgrade to the 6.5 NA, do you also have to upgrade transmission to 4L80E, or is that only with the 6.5 turbo?
You can stick any Detroit in front of the TH400, turbo or not But if you are going to all that trouble you might go all in and do a transmission upgrade at the same time, BTW you do not have to pull the entire package out, you can just pull the engine.

BLK HMMWV

No you don't have to upgrade the transmission to a 4L80E.
I would consider it if I were you however.

Like Mogman said. you don't have to take out everything at once. but you can.
Having a park position in your truck to me is a big plus .
You can add a park pawl to your existing transmission if you would like.

With the 6.5N.A. / 4L80E you will get park as well as overdrive.
If you do choose to also do the 4L80E up grade you will need to source a trans controller and a wiring harness.

Was your engine toast when you got it?
Did you have a chance to drive the truck much before ?

I'm not sure what Tennesse is like and what your plans are for the truck.
When I changed from a 6.2 to 6.5NA it was a night and day difference for me. but I also switch to the 4L80E when I made the change.

mgFray

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine is a 6.5L connected to the 3 speed. I was told it was replaced by the Army in 2004. Works fine, but it would be nice to have an overdrive.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a side note, if you go with a 4 speed (or 6 speed), you will also need a $500 shifter on top of the 4 speed conversion electronics and shafts if you go with the NP241 so make sure that is in the budget.
I have no idea what is any shaft issues you would have if you stay with the NP218

JetbikeAnt

The 6.5 + OD Trans made a huge difference in drivability my opinion. Now I do have more weight as well with my M1045A2 versus my M988.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since the only engine I see that is a P400 (this is what civilians call the GEP) is 14K I would assume the rest are all import blocks and heads or rebuilt early blocks only. Also the claim "OEM spec" leads me to think possibly all the parts are import

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks