• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine speed sensor question

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the Cat 3116, there is an engine speed sensor (part 4) screwed into the driver's side of the bell housing (TM 9-2320-365-20-3, 7-38, Page 406). Two questions...

1.) Are replacements available? Is it a military or civilian part?

2.) What does it do? Is it only used for a tachometer (which I don't have), or does it do other things too?

I'm replacing the engine, and mine appears broken (fine copper wires unraveling out the nose of it). I'm curious if I'll be able to get the new engine running without one, or do I have to get it replaced before I can start it up.

Thanks!
LMTVEngineSpeedSensor.jpg

Last edited:
If it is the Allison automatic then yes this is correct. This part would also be available through a CAT dealership. Usually just need engine info. Serial number and some times ratings.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I called the Cat dealership, and it's not an engine part. Does anyone know anything about it that might help me track one down (military or civilian part? part number? etc.)?

I'm trying to get this engine swap done to be in the parade on the 4th, so I need to move quickly.

My apologies I overlooked the same fact that I already stated that it was for the transmission. I was thinking of a 3126 this is used for the fuel injection. Got them crossed.

I'm just going to keep quiet as my brain must not be functioning correctly today. You are correct sir. Those are under the compressor on the back of the timing cover. Obviously I am malfunctioning.....

samsneed

Did anyone ever identify the part number for the 3116 engine speed sensor? My transmission was throwing codes 22-15 and 54-33...I believe both of these are related to my engine speed sensor. It has copper coming out of it as well....

samsneed

my transmission is throwing codes, 22-15 is the speed sensor i think......

Researching this issue, i discovered that this is not an Allison part. Apparently it's not a Caterpillar part either. both dealers told me it is installed by whoever manufactures the chassis. That being the case, i'm wondering if this Freightliner magnetic pick up i found at napa would do the trick. for $22, i figured it's worth a try. I will need to splice my plug onto this sensor. Anyone know if the 24v vs 12v will be an issue? Also, will this fry something if i hook it up backwards?
keeping my fingers crossed!

Guyfang

Staff member
Most of these Transducer, Motional, are about the same. About the only difference is the diameter of the shaft, and the plug. Normally you screw them in, bottom it out, and back it out 1/3 turn, ( at least) Lock it in place. Turn the engine over, ( without starting!!!!!!!) and measure at the plug, AC volts. Between 2.5 and 3 volts AC is good. The closer to 3 the better. If the volts are low, turn in the transducer. If it is higher then 3, turn it out. High volts is bad. That means you are about ready to see all those tiny wires hanging out. Always better to see low voltage. The general rule for the thing is, if it works, don't fool with it. 99% of the non-op parts, is due to someone " checking it" or fooling with it.

Do not worry about 12-24 volts. No voltage is sent TO the device. The device produces its own voltage. Like I said before, AC voltage.

Last edited:

samsneed

Napa part number NHD 6569002 works, you just have to cut the plug and wire it to match it to the lmtv... Got my tachometer working. Now it's throwing code 56-22..... frustrating, thought I had it beat.

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Normally you screw them in, bottom it out, and back it out 1/3 turn, ( at least) Lock it in place. Turn the engine over, ( without starting!!!!!!!) and measure at the plug, AC volts. Between 2.5 and 3 volts AC is good. The closer to 3 the better. If the volts are low, turn in the transducer. If it is higher then 3, turn it out. High volts is bad. That means you are about ready to see all those tiny wires hanging out. Always better to see low voltage. The general rule for the thing is, if it works, don't fool with it. 99% of the non-op parts, is due to someone " checking it" or fooling with it.
I was doing this by myself, so I had to start the engine to measure. I had installed it to 2 turns back from bottomed out in contact, as the TM said. I was reading 0.025VAC, with the engine running. I turned it in to about 5/8 turn backed out, and am now reading 0.260VAC with the engine running. This was a used RPM sensor I bought from Suprman. Any idea if those readings are ok?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks