• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rebuilding after 15 years of storage

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Electric go on...
passengerside nearly ready - just some minor things to do
Also Dakota Digital is mostly done on the device

20240217_095926.jpg
20240217_150452.jpg
20240217_150517.jpg

the exchangeable lightbar make also progress

20240210_101159.jpg

I dont know how it is in USA - here you have to use reflectors Trailer triangle, and Vehicle all shapes beside triangle. So we perform turntables one side triangle and the other side square

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We had a lot of "Fun" yesterday during we finished the electronic shifting for Dakota and Compushift on the 4L80e Transmission and we noticed we had missed our wiring diagrams for the cab to go on there :mad:

20240224_120107.jpg
Well an option was to drive home and pick them up or continue with other work...
We decide to go on with the exchangeable Lightbar

20240224_160142z.jpg
This is ready now to got a nice hot cinque bath, of course without the lamps 😂
We will finish the wiring on that bar after having the cinque bath

For info - until now was the 4L80e swap easy and just drop in.
Any wiring for Dacota and Compushift is prepared and well explained.
You need to know electric basics but nothing special additional.
Let us see if all go ahead so easy with the rest of installation.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Really it dont look like we going forward - but we do.... 😅 still not ready inside but a lot of forward.
And every evening after the job is done again transfer all installations and changes to the wiring diagrams

20240302_133706.jpg

We noticed we still need another Distribution board/relay unit for the Parklight where we will connect fog light, fog rear light, parking light from the trailer, position indicators, lighting of radio. As we dont want hook them all just on the original wiring of the parking light.
Thinking also about a solution for control lamp for the 4x4 and Terrain reduction. Lamp is already in the system integreated. Just thinking how i can get that information from the shifting.
Also for the Blacklights i need a safety system as it will not pass the roadregistration with original setup
We thinking in a safety switch which give the blacklight circuit free.
Just now it is disconnect as it is not allow for roadregistration

Last edited:

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still on the electric... a neverending story
Coming up by first missing the parkbrake switch.

20240316_093251.jpg
found it later correct bagged but not in the place where it had to be stored... :censored:
Now i need to figure out on Dakota how it will work with the new cluster

20240316_123117.jpg

the function should be given with it, as parkbrake is listed on the connectors
What about Fasten Belts - this have a buzzer also
Double Protection with Lamp and Buzzer?

20240316_125908.jpg

another part which is not more in use with the 4L80e
I have seen also an expensive part
We have to check the HGM instructions for the kickdown-switch

meanwhile i have order the TÜV/Roadregistration-papers for the M1102 towing eye. Without this paper, which come with a registration number for the test is it not possible to got a roadregistration with that towing eye.
I have to sent the towing eye to the shop which will do the safety testing by an TÜV Engineer. It come back with a registration number, which is in Germany highly important for any road registration.
Unfortunately for the military hitch is this not available. No one done this before.
It is an expensive choice. This is the only one offer here in Germany, so he can make the price you have to accept. Complete will it be 865 Euro and i still must take the trailer to the TÜV-Engineer that he sign the new registered Towing eye on that trailer - again 100 Euro. It is cheaper not to stay original... that what the former owner done for the roadregistration was around 300 Euro.

20230211_115650.jpg

he cutted the towing eye off and welded this one on it. Got roadregistration with that in NL but not in Germany
As it is missing the welding certification for that job. It must be done by a professional.

20230114_101801.jpg

It is a complex and expensive measure to let test something on its strengthen for a roadregistration. As a rule, it is only worthwhile if, like this store, you want to generate sales revenue later on. There is no demand for the US Military trailer hitch as there are Nato-Hitch and Rockinger with Roadlicence avialable.

20240316_084825.jpg

I need only to send the towing eye for the test

20240316_100430.jpg

Problems will also be with the lights on the trailer. Not allow here in that way they are used on it. Our Truck was in 1995 one of the last which have an extra allow on red turning and brake lights in one unit.
So we already plan to go with the moveable lightbar, so this should not make a problem
The red round reflextors on the back are also not allow and must be covered in road use
Trailers have here triangle reflectors to identify immediatly this is a vehicle combination.

20240316_082924.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally we finished the cab-electric
Our additional wiring is bigger than the original one 😅 only as we dont want to destroy the original one.
Now the dashboard is filled completely with wiring.

20240323_134923.jpg

20240324_095834.jpg

20240324_130349.jpg

about a weak battsystem of a lot of testing are the lights also a bit weak beside we not remove the covers
We have here some rules to follow in roadregistration:
Highbeam are allow only 4 in roadregistration.
So the inner two on the lightbar have a switch, the both on the outer positions work with highbeam of the headlamps
Rear fog light only allow if front foglight is on
The worklight in the rear will be on with the switch without ignitioncircle or lightcircle.

20240324_132247z.jpg

20240324z.jpg

20240324_132447 - Kopiert.jpg

Next will be Dacota and Compushift connection, than we can go to the engine compartment wiring.

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
the moment where you noticed you missed to complete the wiring for the temperature gauge.
Dacota have also a temperature device but as this was build in before and the hole was cut in ...

20240330_114544.jpg

20240329_131039.jpg

for trailer is a different relay necessary
Also for the hazard lights needed it to complete with a red warn lamp which is here necessary to got road licence for a vehicle.
In the past we had used this old bosch-switch instead the original knob

20240329_110141.jpg

20240329_101024.jpg

Now we will use the original knob with the light in the middle console

20240329_100114.jpg

Trailer turnlight control is also necessary for roadlicence, it is the lamp above the hazard control lamp

Hazard control.jpg

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We struggled a bit with the Gen1 and Gen2 indicator lights
Dakota does not have this function in the cluster so we had to reset the lamps outside the cluster
Very helpful was many informations on this community in that case
Finally we got them connected

20240406_131258.jpg

but as you can see the indicator light of Gen 1 is not as bright as Gen 2
i should not be worried about it as the original cluster shown the same fact

IMG-20230618-WA0017.jpg
We picked the signal up directly on the Switch Connector of the cluster.
I am not sure if we have enough resistor on that bulbs - they have 1,2W
What about the original bulbs - i dont know what power they have and i dont find anywhere an information about it.

also checked fitting about the safety Switch for the Blacklights

20240406_132703.jpg

20240406_132722.jpg

20240406_132734.jpg

This switch shall allow to switch between a wiring circle with blacklights and a wiring circle without blacklights.
As you know roadregistration dont allow blacklight in function. So i must prevent this during a drive on public roads.
The original toggle switches could be actuated accidentally, but this is no longer possible with the safety switch

PHOENIX-GER

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dakota Cab wiring is finished
To calibrate all sensor need them to install :whistle: - located in the engineenviroment does this wait until today for to do...

20240420_104022.jpg

20240420_104033.jpg

Compushift is also complete wired
Of missing sensors and engine running pop up different calibration errors which is in this status normal

Radio wiring also completed and noticed that our DAB Radio from 2018 which was in our former Volvo used for a year is gone after storage of 5 years... needless to say it was running as we pull it out, storage can destroy this is already a fact which is well known.
The former UKW Radio from the Truck which was installed 2014 working well. It have no DAB but instead a CD Volume. Maybe match already better to the Building of that truck and i do not need to find a place to patch the ugly dab-antenna
This radio is also equipped with free hand mobil phone advice. Thats our primary goal.
Beside this the DAB Radio is still avialable for just 150 Euro. So no big deal if we really want to use DAB.

We coudnt test the speakers as we didnt find the old windows antenna connection... we take it out with the windshield. So it must anywhere in our shop. Small parts like to leave us anywhere in the shop and enjoy our seaching rofl

20240420_125934.jpg

20240420_130015.jpg

Rest in Peace

I guess only using the two speakers in the dashpad will not be nice
We used in the past behind the seats two additional bigger 3-way-speakers - dont know if this is the right translation, but i am sure you know what i mean
Also if it dont make a difference during a ride about the high noise cab-level will it be nice to have a good sound by parking anywhere.

After collecting all parts we need for the military trailer electric does we decide to go with a new connection box.
The civilian trailer electric box is filled up. We dont want to have two seperate boxes

20240416_174937.jpg

this one will cover up both systems in one safety box

20240416_175155.jpg

The new box we bought for the Chevy will be still in use for the M1102 Trailer Military Electric.
The Civilian trailer electric will come with the moveable lightbar we already build.

Dakota RTX Video
There is no crack on the cluster - it still wear its plastic protection

Dakota RTX.JPG

IMG-20240420-WA0012.jpg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks