• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exploding M1009 spare

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've never seen this before.
I noticed that the spare in my M1009 looked a bit odd, rolled down the back window and found that the tire had actually blown out. This happened while the truck was parked with the tire in it's rack. No previous indications that anything was wrong with the tire, it actually looked like a pretty good spare (came with the M1009).

Don't know what caused it, high heat on a weak tire maybe? The tire was at normal inflation, but it has been very hot here for the last couple of months, averages around 105. Perhaps sitting inside the rear window with the sun shining in was too much.

Anyway, just thought it was interesting, so I shared. Glad I wasn't in there when it went! And glad the rear window survived...

Cheers

Attachments

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Dang...not that's gotta be one for the record books. Never saw or even heard of that happening.
Good thing it was the spare though.:-D

acmunro

I have a M1010 that has been sitting for a while and the front tire started to come apart at the top where the sun hits it. The rest of the tire looks good and the other three look good. I have seen others that look down right scary and didn't blow. Must have been its time. Glad your windows survived.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Must be a sun thing. I've had more than a few trailer tires blow out while the trailer is sitting idle in the yard.

Pawnshop

Yessir! But after seeing that, all the tires it is sitting on are being replaced before it goes on the road again.
Over cautious? Yes, perhaps, but my daughter loves to drive that truck, and other people's families share the road.....

Cheers
You make a very good point. The tires on my M1009 look new but are 6 years old and bumpy, I will be replacing them very soon...

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yessir! But after seeing that, all the tires it is sitting on are being replaced before it goes on the road again.
Over cautious? Yes, perhaps, but my daughter loves to drive that truck, and other people's families share the road.....

Cheers

Over cautious? NO! Responsible? YES!

41cl8m5

I had a nail in one of my tires on the right rear. Went to a tire store to get the slow leak fixed. They would not do it. The guy said there was no date stamp on the tire and therefore too old to touched according to Depart. of Transportation. Yea its old, but has good tread left so I went to a gas station with a auto shop and they did it with no issue at all. Of corse I said nothing about what was said to me at the tire store.

The Tire store guy said somthing about if a tire is more than 10 years old the olnly thing they are "allowed" to remove the tire and replace with a new one.

Has anyone herd of this and if its true than is it legal for GL to "sale" equipment with "expired tires according to DOT"

Pawnshop

Likely company policy and not DOT regs. My M1009 has a vibration over 60mph and I went to Wal-mart to get the tires balanced, the kid that runs the department spun my tire on the balance machine and showed me the lumps and wavy tread. Even though they still have a lot of tread and the little titties all over them my tires are dated 2002-2003 and obviously have issues from age. He tried to sell me some new ones but did not refuse to balance the old ones.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I know some of you use your MVs as daily drivers or at least frequently, but ALL of mine are pretty much used for displays, parades etc and are actually used very little. If absolutely nothing else works on the trucks...the tires and brakes are good or the vehicle don't leave the compound unless trailer.

I think M813rc said it best...others are on the road.
Aside from any legal proceedings I know I couldn't live with myself if I hurt someone because of a tire or brakes I knew were suspect.

Heck..it's bad enough when tires look good!!
When we were enroute to the Guntruck Gathering we blew a tire on the Landoll...no sweat..had it replaced with a new one.
One the way home...with less than 150 miles on that new tire...it blew to! The manufacturer replaced the tire after the wheel etc was inspected but jeese...figure those odds!!

Dieselsmoke

Hmmmmmmm, let me guess....Uniroyal Laredo????? Had several of them do that sitting in the sun. One of them broke the rear and side window on a 1009:evil:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmmmmmmm, let me guess....Uniroyal Laredo????? Had several of them do that sitting in the sun. One of them broke the rear and side window on a 1009:evil:
Actually a Dunlop Ranger. All the rest on it are Goodyear Wranglers.

With the window loss experiences mentioned, I do consider myself lucky on this one.

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one on my 1009 pop while I was sitting in the GL yard looking at another truck. Once I looked it over real good noticed almost all of them were dry rotted to some degree.

Rory I had the front tire on my '57 blow the steel belt out the sidewall while it was sitting in the shop with no sunlight hitting it whatsoever. I think the heat is a major factor and couple that with the light coming through the rear window heating yours up even more and it just expanded past it's capacity.

Be thankful it didn't happen while you were driving down the road. The sound of that popping might have given you a wee bit of a fright and suddenly it's brown trouser time.

Michael

I had a nail in one of my tires on the right rear. Went to a tire store to get the slow leak fixed. They would not do it. The guy said there was no date stamp on the tire and therefore too old to touched according to Depart. of Transportation. Yea its old, but has good tread left so I went to a gas station with a auto shop and they did it with no issue at all. Of corse I said nothing about what was said to me at the tire store.

The Tire store guy said somthing about if a tire is more than 10 years old the olnly thing they are "allowed" to remove the tire and replace with a new one.

Has anyone herd of this and if its true than is it legal for GL to "sale" equipment with "expired tires according to DOT"
I second the company policy idea. I went to Sam's Club to buy one new tire on my daily driver. They had sold my wife one tire about 6 months before because the truck likes to eat the inside edge of the front tires. Now they refused to put the new tire back on the front. It is now company policy to put new tires on the back if you buy less than 4. I imagine there have been some sizable lawsuits against the big chains over such sillyness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks