• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extended driveshaft cost…

DaneGer21

Has anyone lately had a driveshaft extended? I came across a thread in 2013 where a guy had his extended by 7” for a bobber project, he used a professional driveline shop and it cost him $120. They cut off, and reinstalled a longer shaft, then of course balanced.

I contacted a local driveline shop, and he would NOT extend my driveshaft. He stated anything over 50” long and only 3” will “jump rope” at high speeds. He said he would ONLY install a 3.5” no if ands or buts. That alone was quoted at $400, reusing all my original hardware. Or $650 for all new stuff.

I guess I was sadly mistaken by what I thought would be somewhat/fairly cheap…yikes. Trust me, I understand what they do and how they’re done, I just didn’t think it would be quite that much.

Experience? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Tubing is cheap. You can go up to 68in with no center support bearing. That is the maximum length allowed by the DOT for commercial vehicles. You can go out to 74 though.

If you want you can always add one. It does wear out joints faster when they are longer.

Usually it's 1hr labor for cutting the splined yoke off and the end yoke. Then 1hr each per end and a balance fee.

This is a recent bill from my driveline shop for 3 shafts. This Is the friend rate though.

Attachments

JasonS

Has anyone lately had a driveshaft extended? I came across a thread in 2013 where a guy had his extended by 7” for a bobber project, he used a professional driveline shop and it cost him $120. They cut off, and reinstalled a longer shaft, then of course balanced.

I contacted a local driveline shop, and he would NOT extend my driveshaft. He stated anything over 50” long and only 3” will “jump rope” at high speeds. He said he would ONLY install a 3.5” no if ands or buts. That alone was quoted at $400, reusing all my original hardware. Or $650 for all new stuff.

I guess I was sadly mistaken by what I thought would be somewhat/fairly cheap…yikes. Trust me, I understand what they do and how they’re done, I just didn’t think it would be quite that much.

Experience? Tips? Ideas?

Thanks
Driveshafts have a critical speed beyond which they can whip. Here is a link to a calculator of that speed: https://spicerparts.com/calculators/critical-speed-rpm-calculator

18operator

Did you try Henderson Driveline in Grafton Ohio? I haven't had to anything that long but they do make up shafts among other things.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Trying to compare a price to something from ten years ago isn't a good gauge. And unfortunately just in the past year prices have skyrocketed across the board.

DaneGer21

Trying to compare a price to something from ten years ago isn't a good gauge. And unfortunately just in the past year prices have skyrocketed across the board.
I get that; exactly why I asked if anyone else had it done lately. Since I was surprised by the price, I didn’t know if they were up charging because im not 100% familiar with it, and they could get it from me, or if that was actually the going rate.

rustystud

especially steel. a 1/4"x4"x48" flat bar cost me 25$ a few days ago. it was 10 bucks about 1 1/2 yers ago.
Thats reversed right ?
I priced out a 3ft by 10ft by 1" thick plate for another work bench two weeks ago. It would cost me $1000.00 ! Five years ago my last bench cost me $200.00. Prices have gone crazy on everything lately.
So I went to an auction last week and bought a 21ft by 3ft by 2.25" thick plate for $350.00 !
Now I just need to get it home !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks