• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extra batterys?

blackhueys

Ok so I want to add 2 more battery's to my truck they will be wired for 24 volts as a back up to the main ones. My question is this I already have the battery's but do I need a battery disconnect switch where I can chose the stock battery's or the aux battery's or both? Or do I need to get a battery isolator?

OL AG '89

WHY in the world do you want to add 2 more batteries to the truck????
These things have massive reserve capacity batteries in them already.
We used to run our radios for hours without ever starting the vehicles.
Mil radios were big AMP hogs, during use.....

stampy

I would isolate the 2nd bank and put the switch inside the cab. some switches allow both to charge but isolate drainback.

blackhueys

I have the arctic heater kit installed and would like to be able to run both heaters for awhile if needed with out worrying about not being able to still start my truck on the main battery's. I already have what I need for the extra battery install except knowing what to use on them so that I can do this thinking isolator is what I will be needing as I do want to charge both when running but have the main stock battery's be disconnected from the rest of the system when the engine is off. then I would turn the key on they would re-connect to the system for full power.

OL AG '89

If you have that kind of load that you will use for an extended time, you will want to make sure you connect through a 1-2 switch that allows you to switch between battery "banks".
When you have finished using the Aux batteries and if they don't have enough to start the truck, you can switch to second bank, fire up motor and then switch back to drained batteries to charge them. I imagine you could design or purchase a switching circuit for the "banks" that senses a predetermined "low voltage" limit and either cuts the power, or switches to other bank of batteries.
We have a 1-2 switch on a boat that uses a dual bank charger when the engine is running (12 volts). I can choose to run a single battery (in your case 2) or both bateries (in your case 4) with the switch.
A reference for you would be "skeeterboats, championboats, or basstracker" to see if they explain how the batteries are wired up to isolate when using trolling motors and not using big motor to charge.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you do this use deep cycle (like for golf carts or trolling motors) batteries. Regular batteries do not like being deeply drained and recharged.

Also if you are mounting them inside the vehicle (Blazer) make sure they are very well mounted.....anything not secured in a rollover becomes a missile.

If you do it post some pics.

OL AG '89

Good catch wreckerman!!
Deep Cycle Marine batteries is exactly what you need. Now the question is, Can you find that big of a deep cycle battery with the amp/hr draw required?
If you mount them inside the vehicle, you also need to vent them outside, the outgassing would not be a good thing as they are charging....
Can you post some pictures of the setup?
I'd like to see the artic heater as installed. I'll never need one here, but have never seen the installation in a CUCV.

original

I installed a large power inverter (12-110). The two main batteries were moved to the front plate side by side. The new deep cycle battery was placed on the back plate. I ran a circular saw on it intermitently for 5.5 hours. No problem starting truck afterwards.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks