• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Extruded fender rubber

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am guessing that the after market rubber trim for the fenders is extruded. Now the new rubber that just came in has a set to it that is backwards. Does this set happen when it is extruded or when they coil it up? The reason I ask and also saw a post about it is the way the new rubber came is backwards set to the way it needs to be installed. I did not think it would work well but I bent it and secured it with the bendy rivet thingy's and install it. It seems to work it's self out. In the one pic you can see how it is supposed to lay on the fender and access panel. The other pics is the new laid next to the old piece. If my pics came out then you can see how the two do not match up as per the set and lips. Tanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here you can see what happens when we bend the rubber they way it is supposed to lay. It gets the waves in it but they seen to work out on install of the panel.
The other pic my rubber is installed and panel is put back on job done. This pic is just showing how the install worked for me. I removed the panel and old rubber / rivets. Then I installed the panel with just two bolts in each side. I install the rubber they correct way it should lay and made my small cut mark on one end to shorten it up to correct fit. I then slid the rubber under the installed panel again and taped it to the panel even better than my pic. Remember this panel is done I am just trying to show how it worked for me. So after trimming the rubber and putting it where it should sit I taped it with lots of blue tape even more than in my pic. After the taping was done I removed the two bolts holding on the panel and went to work on the rivet thingy's. Myself I started in the middle of the panel / rubber not on one end or the other. Working the rivets both directions away from the center one at a time keeping the rubber laying good and tight. Well do not know what happened but it seem to work out. Good luck if you are going to replace yours. Edit it is a shame someone painted the trim rubber guess they did not remove the fender / trim rubber to paint the truck. Little more work to remove the old rubber when the fender is off if they even removed the fender to paint the truck. I am not going to remove the fender to replace the lower piece just have to live with it painted for now but I think it does look better with the top piece looking like it should.

Attachments

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Knocked out the passenger side this morning. Came out ok and so much better than being painted. I did it yesterday but did not mention it. Since on each side we have to slide the front lip of the panel in first to lock it in to the sheet metal I just put one bolt in the front top hole panel loose. Then to make the lip of the rubber trim lay down nice on the fender I pushed down and in on the panel with the new rubber installed. This made the bottom lip drag and pull it out some as I pushed it up to where panel meets the cab. While holding the panel down and looking good I had to push hard down on the panel to make the rear bolt holes line up. While holding it down of course put the bolt in with the rest of the bolts and tighten them all up. As said have fun nothing else to do.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks