• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failing Front Pinion Bearing, Spring Inspection Results

UPFINN

A few days ago I was all ready to go take the deuce on a 60 mile cruise to haul logs. In the pre trip inspection I noticed fluid on the rims of the inner tandem. Pretty sure it is brake fluid. It was a greenish yellow, and didn't have much of a smell. The gear oil I put in the axle last Fall was green, but the leaking fluid does not stink. Master cylinder was lower also.

I figured if two wheel cylinders are leaking, all of them might need replacing. Looks like the drums are coming back off. At least I don't need to repack bearings.

I had a friend of mine do an inspection on the truck, and the rest of the brake components seemed fine. A good bit of fluid around the master cylinder, but it is missing the o ring on the cap, and the boot is dry. The master cylinder boot is ripped on the end also. Hopefully dirt can not get in to cause problems.

He found a few minor oil seeps on the engine, transmission, and transfer case. A oil drip was traced up from the transmission to the injector pump, then up to the oil filters. Either the canisters are leaking, or the mount for the canisters is leaking. When I changed filters last Fall, the entire canister base was oily with no sign of where the leak was coming from.

The front drive shaft u joints had some play, so those need replacing. However, when I crawled under the truck today to look at the u joints, I discovered that the drive shaft flange on the front axle had quite a bit of play in it. I can wiggle it up and down and side to side. The flange on the front of the axle does not have any play at all.

This feels like a bad pinion bearing, however usually a bad bearing causes quite the oil leak, as the shaft takes out the seals. The rear axles have seeping seals, but no bearing play. Is it possible the flange nut could be loose, and is moving around on the shaft?

In the next few weeks, looks like I will be doing wheel cylinders, bleeding brakes, and replacing front u joints.

The urethane liner I sprayed in the cab is lifting in places where I put the latex sound deadener on too thick. I will have to cut out the bad spots and re-spray the liner also.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks