• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass Top for my M939 Series Truck? Soliciting Opinions?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am considering a fiberglass top for one of my trucks. I know I can't walk on my convertible top on my truck now, but it seems like a hard top should be rigid. Any thoughts on that? Anybody have one on their machine and think it's great? Or the other way around - maybe it is a bad idea?

I found a steel top that a guy is willing to GIVE me but it has rust and pinholes everywhere. Can't fuss about the price, but bodywork just isn't something that I am good at. I mean with maybe fifty coats of paint and a few gallons of body filler it could be made rain proof. At least until the first time the body flexed a little... :-( I suppose I could fiberglass over the metal and then gelcoat over that... Feels like I would have as much time and money in it as buying a clean top.

Any thoughts pro or con?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I am considering a fiberglass top for one of my trucks. I know I can't walk on my convertible top on my truck now, but it seems like a hard top should be rigid. Any thoughts on that? Anybody have one on their machine and think it's great? Or the other way around - maybe it is a bad idea?

I found a steel top that a guy is willing to GIVE me but it has rust and pinholes everywhere. Can't fuss about the price, but bodywork just isn't something that I am good at. I mean with maybe fifty coats of paint and a few gallons of body filler it could be made rain proof. At least until the first time the body flexed a little... :-( I suppose I could fiberglass over the metal and then gelcoat over that... Feels like I would have as much time and money in it as buying a clean top.

Any thoughts pro or con?
You have to add center ribs to the fiberglass tops or they will break after a good many bumps. The ones Memphis equipment and Midwest military get are from the same company here in Memphis. I tried to get several made but the big companies made a stink. .

These ribs can be several small angle iron pieces bolted to the inside or position them to the wall and overlap with your own fiberglass

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
You have to add center ribs to the fiberglass tops or they will break after a good many bumps. The ones Memphis equipment and Midwest military get are from the same company here in Memphis. I tried to get several made but the big companies made a stink. .

These ribs can be several small angle iron pieces bolted to the inside or position them to the wall and overlap with your own fiberglass
Thanks Wes! I found your post about trying to get a mold and build tops back a few years ago. It was a little disheartening to see the greed those folks put on somebody trying to do good for our hobby. I can't help but wonder if there isn't still a market for a high quality fiberglass top... Thing is, I do small fiberglass repairs. I am not the fiberglass guru capable of this kind of work.

I feel sure I could lay in the braces and firm up one of those light weight tops. I found one on ePay for a grand. By the time I gathered glass and rosin my guess is the money would be no less than fifteen hundred and a lot of time invested.

MY WORRY is that if the top is that weak, the back that supports the rear of the top is going to be a weak spot too... More than likely that will need to be ribbed as well and that adds to the cost as well.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Wes! I found your post about trying to get a mold and build tops back a few years ago. It was a little disheartening to see the greed those folks put on somebody trying to do good for our hobby. I can't help but wonder if there isn't still a market for a high quality fiberglass top... Thing is, I do small fiberglass repairs. I am not the fiberglass guru capable of this kind of work.

I feel sure I could lay in the braces and firm up one of those light weight tops. I found one on ePay for a grand. By the time I gathered glass and rosin my guess is the money would be no less than fifteen hundred and a lot of time invested.

MY WORRY is that if the top is that weak, the back that supports the rear of the top is going to be a weak spot too... More than likely that will need to be ribbed as well and that adds to the cost as well.

You have to do circle bracing reinforcement.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks