• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fiberglass top questions

Rrent

The areas where my top94CB27EF-942D-4EF2-9612-D998155CDE68.jpegA0C3A176-876A-44A3-91D1-3615332678DD.jpeg was painted black (camo pattern) are in pretty bad shape- I’m guessing sun damage. The fiberglass fibers are exposed. Should I repair- if yes, how? Or replace - if yes, is civilian top exactly the same. I found a top close and affordable.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
The areas where my topView attachment 844049View attachment 844050 was painted black (camo pattern) are in pretty bad shape- I’m guessing sun damage. The fiberglass fibers are exposed. Should I repair- if yes, how? Or replace - if yes, is civilian top exactly the same. I found a top close and affordable.
You can go with GelCoat fiberglass resin and maybe a layer of fine fiberglass fabric. If you haven't done it before, it takes time and effort and a lot of sanding and SCRATCHING and the wearing of a mask.

I can't answer the civilian question - but most of the body of the truck is the same (Civy vs Military)

Last edited:

nyoffroad

The top can be fixed but in the one pic it looks like the front seal has been boogered up and leaked. Now might be the time for new seals and a new top, yes the civvie top will bolt right on. Make sure you all the seals and watch out for the 'hidden' bolts! IIRC there is one bolt on each side in the back that goes from the bottom up and in the front I think there's one behind a small metal plate.

cucvrus

If you were closer I would have a replacement top for a small fee. I have been cutting them up and putting them in vehicles going to the shredder. I have 4 or 5 M1009 tops and a 1991 K5 with shoulder belts attached to the top. They are all leaving here soon as possible. I only need 1 of them at this point. But I would sand that top with80 grit and see what happens. That can be fixed but a replacement top would be easier and better. Good Luck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks