• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finally Found My Fuel Leak.

Josh

As some of you may know, I've been battling with a fuel leak for some time. Well today I finally found the leak. Normally I wouldn't make a thread on something like this, but from what caused the leak and why I couldn't find it seemed like it was worth posting incase someone else was having issues.

It appears that the last person who installed the ground strap from the bellhousing to the frame, zip tied it to the copper fuel lines. The ground strap rubbed a decent sized whole in the line but I was never able to detect it for the strap was wisking the WMO I run and depositing it on the bell housing. I had just assumed I had oil leak on the rear main. But after seeing the tube, I just took a dremel tool with a cutting wheel to it, and repaced the bad pipe with a rubber hose until I can replace the entire line. I also relocated the strap so it doesnt rub on my fuel lines any longer.

I figured I'd let yall know why this happened, so you can go make sure someone didnt ziptie that ground strap to the fuellines and you eventully run into the same problem that I did.

Here is a picture of the chunk of copper tube I cut out. The gash is about 1" long. I didnt get a chance to start the truck today, as I had no either/flamable spray. With my intank pump shot, its the only way to get the truck to start after sitting for more then 6 hours. Hopefully with this line replaced I wont be needing ether anytime soon after this. I'll let ya know it goes tomorrow.

Attachments

Hammer

Good job Josh!
One down, now to replace the fuel pump.
Btw, it is worth pulling the pump to investigate it before you end up replacing it. Might be something as simple as the entire bottom section FELL OFF! Search on here and you will see what I mean.

poof

Dirty Hippie
Try a Gas soaked( dont take much) rag on the fender under the air intake mushroom cap..
thats an old trick to use if you have no starter fluid...[thumbzup]
J.P.

Stagg

I had the same fuel line problem. My line was replaced with plastic, and rubbed on another line (from the oil cooler ?) Anyway, it made that same shaped cut. It had a tiny round hole in the center, like it was made with a drill bit.

For those who end up looking for a similar problem on their truck, it only dripped when the in-tank pump was running because the hole was still small. Only when I started the engine did it become a steady dribble.

Solution was to replace the line. But it sure took me a while to find the silly thing on the side of the road. It leaked pretty badly with the engine running and rolling down the road.... enough to soak the floor inside the cab, around the gas and clutch pedals.

Sorry I don't have a picture, I ended up fixing the line in a Courtyard Inn's parking lot. :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks