• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Finding the "good" wheel cylinder kits...

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone make the "good" wheel cylinder rebuild kits for the Deuce anymore? The ones with the cup expander springs? Even on the surplus sites, all I see are the straight springs. Did a search for UP45 through NAPA and it comes up with nothing.

What about the whole cylinders on the surplus sites? Anyone know which springs they have in them?

Rebuilding my entire brake system and would really like to NOT put in crappy straight springs.

jasonjc

Does anyone make the "good" wheel cylinder rebuild kits for the Deuce anymore? The ones with the cup expander springs? Even on the surplus sites, all I see are the straight springs. Did a search for UP45 through NAPA and it comes up with nothing.

What about the whole cylinders on the surplus sites? Anyone know which springs they have in them?

Rebuilding my entire brake system and would really like to NOT put in crappy straight springs.
Try here:

ckid

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. Checked out Erik's before. He has this note in his description: Note- spring is no longer manufactured with tapered ends. You will need to reuse the original spring if the tapered end is required.

I've not torn mine open yet. Hope they haven't been rebuilt in the past with straight springs if nobody is making the tapered anymore.

Godspeed131

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last year when i rebuilt / replaced mine i searched for a while to find the good ones but to no avail. I called napa and none of the numbers that have been used in the past worked anymore or they couldn't get them anymore. called several truck parts stores around locally but nothing. I wound up getting the other straight type through big mikes. so far so good though. none of my originals had the expanding cups on the springs so reusing the old ones wasn't a option either.

tobyS

I have everything but the piston part. I have body, rubber, springs, some the tapered kind and some straight.

You know why the straight ones fail don't you? It's because they try and use them with no steel cup on the end, and instead put the spring directly against the rubber. The new style spring has the end so it distributes the force but is still wire against rubber. If the straight spring has the end cups, in my opinion they are every bit as reliable as the new style.

tobyS

If I can find them I'll sell it all (6). I'm using 1.5" on my 4x4.

Edit....I think I traded them...sorry

Gypsyman

Rather than start another thread I'm kicking this one back up. As noted in much earlier threads the Napa UP 45 kit is long gone. I checked on the Napa UP 4419 wheel cylinders and I can only find 6 of the complete wheel cylinders in the entire PNW Napa supply chain. 4 of which are right here in town.

Using the link from an earlier post I ordered seven F-2128-5 kits from National Parts Depot. What I received was a hodge-podge. These were supposed to be Wagner kits as confirmed by their parts manager. I received 4 Raybestos WK103 kits and 3 generic Made in China kits with just a piece of paper inside with WK103 printed on it.

The Raybestos kits have Made in Mexico labels but came with Made in the USA cups. The generic kits came with unmarked cups. All seven kits have the good springs. I'll keep the springs and end caps from the generic kits and try to locate six USA manufactured cups to compete these kits and keep them for spares.

I now have one of the Dorman 3577 kits coming in for inspection. If the Dorman kits are of good quality they should be a viable option. They cost less and include the pistons. Fingers crossed. I'll report back when the Dorman kit arrives.

Richard

rustystud

Rather than start another thread I'm kicking this one back up. As noted in much earlier threads the Napa UP 45 kit is long gone. I checked on the Napa UP 4419 wheel cylinders and I can only find 6 of the complete wheel cylinders in the entire PNW Napa supply chain. 4 of which are right here in town.

Using the link from an earlier post I ordered seven F-2128-5 kits from National Parts Depot. What I received was a hodge-podge. These were supposed to be Wagner kits as confirmed by their parts manager. I received 4 Raybestos WK103 kits and 3 generic Made in China kits with just a piece of paper inside with WK103 printed on it.

The Raybestos kits have Made in Mexico labels but came with Made in the USA cups. The generic kits came with unmarked cups. All seven kits have the good springs. I'll keep the springs and end caps from the generic kits and try to locate six USA manufactured cups to compete these kits and keep them for spares.

I now have one of the Dorman 3577 kits coming in for inspection. If the Dorman kits are of good quality they should be a viable option. They cost less and include the pistons. Fingers crossed. I'll report back when the Dorman kit arrives.

Richard
The "handwriting" is on the wall guys. These old drum brake vehicles will not be supported much longer. On any old vehicle. Every new vehicle made now has disc brakes. Much cheaper to make, and less warranty problems for the manufacturer. Even in the old car world it is becoming harder to find good brake parts. Unless you own a classic that everyone seems to have. Then some "specialty shops" will make replacements parts at a huge mark-up price. Since our military vehicles are in a really small niche market, no one is going to invest the money to make small runs of simple parts like brake cups. So find some parts now and stash them away. That includes "booster" parts too.
Soon the only viable option will be a complete conversion to disc brakes.

GopherHill

The "handwriting" is on the wall guys. These old drum brake vehicles will not be supported much longer. On any old vehicle. Every new vehicle made now has disc brakes. Much cheaper to make, and less warranty problems for the manufacturer. Even in the old car world it is becoming harder to find good brake parts. Unless you own a classic that everyone seems to have. Then some "specialty shops" will make replacements parts at a huge mark-up price. Since our military vehicles are in a really small niche market, no one is going to invest the money to make small runs of simple parts like brake cups. So find some parts now and stash them away. That includes "booster" parts too.
Soon the only viable option will be a complete conversion to disc brakes.
I do hate to hear that. I'm sure you are
correct but I like drum brakes.

rustystud

The air packs are my next concern. I'd like to have a couple (NOS or used) on the shelf along with a couple of rebuild kits. Right now I'm spending far more time tracking down spare parts to put on the shelf than I am actually working on the truck. Sad state of affairs.
Yes. I know that feeling well !

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks