• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fire Dept Hmmwv

kzeyus

Piney Point Fire Dept (near Rogers, AR) recently acquired two hmmwvs for use as Quick Response/Rescue vehicles. Piney Point has the largest response area in Arkansas with hilly terrain, low water crossings, and many unpaved roads. I'll be primary operator/mechanic for this unit and have already learned much from steel soldiers. I'm sure I'll have plenty more questions as we put these units into service and maintain them.

This one will be designated unit 1454 and appears to be a 1986 model and seems to have been well cared for. Has a helmet top (no compartments) and x doors, 6.5 GEP motor, fording kit, 200 amp dual voltage alternator (only 24v hooked up currently), S3 control box. There were several holes cut in and a large grounded metal plate mounted on the top , probably for antennas, so guessing it was some type of radio truck. Only military unit designation I could read was '58 MBR' on right front fender. So far have patched the holes in the top and worked through most of the LEO/FD Hmmwv checklist sticky items, and installed battery cutoff and halogen headlights. Going to install lights and siren, and locking door handles to protect gear that will be mounted in the vehicle.

Attachments

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome and good luck with them. Fording kit usually means USMC truck.
True, but the painted bumper numbers and lack of a center of the tailgate marking says "Army" to me.

The "high top" HMMWVs with a big circle in the center were some sort of Intel/radar/SIGINT truck. I can't remember the name, but "Pvt. Murphy's Law" cartoon by Mark Baker had one about it. I think we ha done in the MI company in my BN when I was in Korea.

Sparkyz911

Nice. If you light it up (warning/scene) I highly recommend using variable volt LED bars (9v/32v). Strobesnmore dot com carries quite a few. I'll hafta post up pics of my depts. rig.

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice rig. I'm personally not partial to the helmet hard top. However, I see the utility for a FD application. Post some more pics when you get the emergency lights operational! :recovry4x4:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks