• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First '52 XM211

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thank you. I picked it up for $1200. The guy had scrapped others, but wanted to see it restored. I got lucky. I paid him a couple months ago and he took it upon himself to clean the carb and tank. He even replaced the fuel pump and gave it a tune up. The only catch is he wants pics when it is done!
I've been looking for a couple years. It is so hard to find a complete "less rusty" truck with title in WI, IA, or MN. I found probably 25 trucks in the last 2 years, but all too far gone, too far, or too expensive. I did find a couple good cabs that I picked up from scrappers. I had 2 cabs, no chassis, a welder, a sawzall and a lot of time, that stuff turned into a 4 door cab.
I'll keep working on the 4 door, but I cannot butcher this truck. I guess I have to get another chassis!!!!

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Danny form Brookes Implement was going to Northern Wisconsin with a farm tractor. Turns out he was only about 100 miles away from the truck in Minnesota. He winched it on and hauled it home for $500. I figure he had about 6 hours and a couple hundred in fuel. I'm happy with him, It is cheeper than the ticket! I paid the tax and got the title transferred ($150) right away without incident, but I'll have to research how I want to license it in Wisconsin. Collector or hobbyist I think are my choices. I looks like I can haul a load or tow a trailer with collector plates on a >25year old military vehicle (Another $262). The guy at the DMV was not a fun guy.
I'll post some interior pics when the rain stops.

ODw/envy

I really like the gassers. If they were diesel with and manual trans I would already have one. Looks as though this one has potential. Nice find.

Why not use an m36 chassis for the 4 door project? that would be cooool.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suspect the truck was given to a volunteer fire department by the Federal govt in the late 60s or 70s and the CD sticker was applied then. I think the truck will be green by mid summer. I will probably keep the stickers on the doors. I have a hard top and heater I will install this fall.

Attachments

greentoys

I know what you mean about DMV people. ( in Minnesota too)I had a real frankenstien on my first trip to get an M37 title last fall. Then on my followup trip I got a different guy and he actually appolagized for the first guy's treatment of me. Things proceeded as smooth as could be with him.
Moral is, try for a different person or go to an office in another town if needed.

Ray

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I started getting ready to paint this week. Removed the box, hood, doors and fenders for sanding. I "test painted" the back of the cab olive drab and decided to back to the fire department red paint. I found a source for new civil defense stickers and ordered them. Looks like a good time to pressure wash wire brush and paint the frame too.

Attachments

Gunfreak25

I agree, paint it with fresh red! It's part of the trucks history, thousands of G749's were donated to forestry services and fire departments. And it looks like a well used but well taken care of M211 at that. That's incredible you went through so many trucks before settling on this one, good things come to those who wait!

I made a post a few days ago on PMCS and sheetmetal on this 58 year old trucks. I think you saw it already though. Some tips on cleaning it up and painting it, do not shoot for perfection. You'll just drive yourself nuts! Use a degreaser on the grungy parts, a wire brush or wire wheel on the flaky places, sand the outside surfaces, powerwash and let the paint fly. You can use the Rustoleum rusty metal primer on the dirtier surfaces as it adheres remarkably well to pretty much anything and everything. Lastly, if you have some really nasty areas you wish to take down to bare metal get some of those stripping pads you use on an angle grinder. I did my entire door in about 2 1/2 hours.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That red fire department paint is peeling so bad the truck needs to be sanded to the original paint. I got some help today removing the step. The milwaukee cordless impact is impressive. As a matter of fact, I had those 2 guys eyeballing all those bolts on the cab. Couldn't turn my back on 'em for a second.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks