• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First Delivery HMMWVs Paint color?

olewhiskey

With a very early production HMMWV, I think the original might be Woodland in service but I have seen some MERDC camo HMMWVS(granted rare). What would be the correct color in service for a HMMWV as delivered? Did AM General deliver these in solid Green or Woodland?

HUMVEE1

Sorry...an attempt at humor. I guess you mean the base and the sign ? Yes that would be cool.
My 1983 Govplanet Hummervee is older by a couple years and has very similar camo job pattern outlined in grease pencil. Not yet standardized I guess. I wonder if the person who penciled the original pattern realized the extent to which the work would be copied.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The very first ones we got in the Marines (mid-late '85?) were 383 woodland camo. MERDC was already out for new vehicles at that point. Other vehicles (eg. 939 series trucks and CUCVs) started being delivered to us in 383 camo in 1984.

Cheers

HUMVEE1

This unit was in existence on Jan 3 1985 as it was made 11/27/84.
interesting to see how it has aged.

Attachments

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry...an attempt at humor. I guess you mean the base and the sign ? Yes that would be cool.
My 1983 Govplanet Hummervee is older by a couple years and has very similar camo job pattern outlined in grease pencil. Not yet standardized I guess. I wonder if the person who penciled the original pattern realized the extent to which the work would be copied.
Can we know more about your 1983 Govplanet Hummervee? What is that? I thought the prototypes were 1984's, mine is.

HUMVEE1

Wow that is rare and cool. I have been researching them. Does your truck have fairly standardized features such as dash
and hood ? Would that be a Phase III Testing and Evaluation truck ? Or would it be newer than that as I believe the Phase III testing took place in 1983 ?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that is rare and cool. I have been researching them. Does your truck have fairly standardized features such as dash
and hood ? Would that be a Phase III Testing and Evaluation truck ? Or would it be newer than that as I believe the Phase III testing took place in 1983 ?
It is completely the same as production trucks with one exception, in the rear floor area, there are 2 small crescent shaped cutouts, for what I don't know. The truck has no data plates at all. I know it is a 84 from casting marks on various parts.

HUMVEE1

I used to think those cutouts were planned as drains but I think they might have something to do with removing the rear shocks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks