• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MEP , fixed shaking Oil Pressure senor mounts and other mods

Dylanss180

I bought a MEP-802A off Gov Planet a month ago with 4.5K hrs on the meter and is non reset from 2000. Taking the chance of not really knowing what I was getting, I brought it home, changed filters and fluids and did the fuse mod, put some fuel and new batteries in it and it fired right up. Made a load bank for it and exercised it at 100% for several hours and it did it without an issue. I am currently in the process of doing all the preventative maintenance mods on it now.

I did a lot of scouring on this website to see what everyone has done with their setups and I did the following. I replaced the tank fittings with the brass o-ring fittings and the leaking is fixed, replaced the incoming fuel lines with braided stainless lines as well as the oil sensor line. The old ones were getting chaffed. Also doing the rodent prevention on it now. I will mention that I found a mouse nest in it today when taking the covers off. Luckily, nothing was damaged or chewed. When putting it back together today, I swapped out with stainless hardware and did nutserts where there used to be just nuts on the inside.

On the electrical side, I put in a waterproof plug where the power chord used to come into that I got from another post. I replaced the bad hz meter with an electronic one and also added a separate multi meter next to the voltage adjust knob to look at the current on each leg and did the illumination led upgrades as mentioned on the forum.

Learning from other peoples issues and seeing their fixes and sharing their experiences on this site has helped me a bunch knowing what to do upfront to save me the hassle later down the road. I wanted to give back and share some mod that I did that helped out my situation a lot when it came to vibrations.

I noticed, when I had my generator running on my little dolly, it would shake pretty well and the bracket that holds the oil pressure sensors would shake pretty well, it wouldn't really do that when it was placed on the concrete floor, but it bothered me anyway. When I had the covers off to do the rodent prevention I added a 1x1 l bracket the width of the gen to the bottom of the sheet metal where it was unsupported and would shake pretty well. I used some #10 self drilling screws to mount it to the sheet metal. Once getting everything buttoned up, I ran it briefly on my dolly and now the brackets barely move now. That can also be said for the fuel separator filter, it would shake a lot, now it is very steady. I recommend this upgrade to do if you have the covers off sometime. It took about 15 minutes to do the mod.

Next I will be tackling replacing the fuel return lines, change the aux fuel lines from -5 to -6 fittings and setup a stainless steel barrel for Aux fuel.

My plan is to put this as a backup gen in my back yard. i am building a new shed next year and plan on pouring a pad for this gen to sit under cover and out of the elements incase I loose power. I am thinking of making an exhaust stack to take it out thru the roof and am pondering doing a double wall exhaust pipe and use the heat from it to heat the shed or send it to my hydronic heating system in the house. We will see, depends on how far I want to go with this setup.

I want to thank you all again. I also need to build up some spare parts just in case something breaks. Stay prepared!!

20191230_170836.jpg20191230_170844.jpg20191230_171032.jpg20191230_170941.jpg20191230_160331.jpg

Attachments

Guyfang

Staff member
Think about this. When you build your shead, how about raising the gen set up a foot or more. When I was younger, crawling around on the floor was easy. Now, well it would require much more grunting and cussing to get up and down, while working on a set. Just a thought. Would make draining oil a snap, also.

Dylanss180

Guyfang,

That is a good idea. I was also toying with having it on solid steel casters so I can wheel it around on the pad. Not totally sure what I want to do yet but I like the idea of it off the ground. Also toying of putting solid walls around it with some sound deadining materials to get the noise level down so I don't annoy my neighbors. But, then again, they are loud and obnoxious anyway and maybe this would be good payback for their years of listening to dogs barking and people yelling at each other all day for years.

I managed to put a quick video on youtube of the results of the mod

https://youtu.be/Ngsvvn1wCjU

Video Mod

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guyfang,

That is a good idea. I was also toying with having it on solid steel casters so I can wheel it around on the pad. Not totally sure what I want to do yet but I like the idea of it off the ground. Also toying of putting solid walls around it with some sound deadining materials to get the noise level down so I don't annoy my neighbors. But, then again, they are loud and obnoxious anyway and maybe this would be good payback for their years of listening to dogs barking and people yelling at each other all day for years.

I managed to put a quick video on youtube of the results of the mod

https://youtu.be/Ngsvvn1wCjU

Video Mod
if power is out any anyone within a block or two of you is running a gasoline generator they won't hear the 802. Heck, you might not even hear your own generator if the house next to you is running an open frame gasoline generator.
I ran an 802 behind my HMMWV to power some lights for a parade a few weeks ago. It was a toss up, standing 20 feet away, if the HMMWV or the generator was louder, but I vote the HMMWV.
As soon as the 5 ton behind me started up you wouldn't know the gen was running from trying to listen to it.

Dylanss180

if power is out any anyone within a block or two of you is running a gasoline generator they won't hear the 802. Heck, you might not even hear your own generator if the house next to you is running an open frame gasoline generator.
I ran an 802 behind my HMMWV to power some lights for a parade a few weeks ago. It was a toss up, standing 20 feet away, if the HMMWV or the generator was louder, but I vote the HMMWV.
As soon as the 5 ton behind me started up you wouldn't know the gen was running from trying to listen to it.
That is good to know. I haven't placed the generator in the back of my property yet, but I have noticed that it is considerably quieter than my old screamer generator.

Dylanss180

20200102_170354.jpg
I like using the Teflon braided lines. They are the last ones you will ever need to replace with and last the life of your rig. I built a diesel engine last year with all of those lines. These are common use in the aerospace industry. I finished replacing the last line to the pump yesterday. Also, when you guys break your connection to these fittings, make sure to use grease on the threads. I had a couple on my 802 almost seized from corrosion. Grease fixes that.

I finished replacing the return hose and I dumped the plastic tee fittings and replaced it with brass barb fittings.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Think about this. When you build your shead, how about raising the gen set up a foot or more. When I was younger, crawling around on the floor was easy. Now, well it would require much more grunting and cussing to get up and down, while working on a set. Just a thought. Would make draining oil a snap, also.
I think I will raise my 803 a little more off the ground. It is only 4 inches now and I have to use a pan to catch the oil which means cleaning away the mulch to get it low enough. I will crane it out of the way an mound the dirt up more then put the
View attachment 786863
I like using the Teflon braided lines. They are the last ones you will ever need to replace with and last the life of your rig. I built a diesel engine last year with all of those lines. These are common use in the aerospace industry. I finished replacing the last line to the pump yesterday. Also, when you guys break your connection to these fittings, make sure to use grease on the threads. I had a couple on my 802 almost seized from corrosion. Grease fixes that.

I finished replacing the return hose and I dumped the plastic tee fittings and replaced it with brass barb fittings.
Do you have a parts list for your fuel line upgrades and recommended supplier? I have 3 - 803's and an 806 that I would like to do. I change the rubber fuel lines every 5 years since bio diesel is nasty. You can PM me if you wish.

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 786863

Howdy,

I have only 1 thing to add.

You know you have the older faucet fuel pump. The military spec for all tier resets were to swap those out for the round style airtex fuel pump.

MEP-802/803 fuel pump

braided lines always look and function good. 1578099064603.png

Dylanss180

I think I will raise my 803 a little more off the ground. It is only 4 inches now and I have to use a pan to catch the oil which means cleaning away the mulch to get it low enough. I will crane it out of the way an mound the dirt up more then put the

Do you have a parts list for your fuel line upgrades and recommended supplier? I have 3 - 803's and an 806 that I would like to do. I change the rubber fuel lines every 5 years since bio diesel is nasty. You can PM me if you wish.
I got my teflon lines from Amazon. Just make sure you get the PTFE stainless lines. Not the rubber stuff with the braided liner.

Howdy,

I have only 1 thing to add.

You know you have the older faucet fuel pump. The military spec for all tier resets were to swap those out for the round style airtex fuel pump.

MEP-802/803 fuel pump

braided lines always look and function good. View attachment 786932
Yeah, If I ever need to buy a new pump, ill get those. I was a able to get a deal for the two I bought.

Dylanss180

I added inline filters to both pumps. These are the 30 micron stainless ones that can be taken apart and rinsed out. I decided to mount an external one for the AUX tank so I can clean it without having to take the cover off. I also added a gauge to the outlet of the main priming pump.20200110_190831.jpg20200110_190822.jpg

Last edited:

Dylanss180

Can you share some more details about the filter you added?
Sure, They are in a separable housing that allows you to take the filter out inside it. The filter itself is a very fine mesh stainless. You can remove the filter and clean it out and put it back in the housing and keep going. With the size of these housings, I doubt there will be any need to clean out the filters since they are pretty large. Unless you had a whole bunch of crap in your fuel, I don't see the need to ever have to get into these things to clean them out. But, it gives you the opportunity.

The main reason why I picked these is for ease of service. I can take this filter out in less than a minute, squirt some acetone or diesel fuel on it to wash it out and have it back up and running in less than 5 minutes. Serviceability is my #1 priority. This is the only MEP I have and I need to be able to keep it running.

You can buy different size filters. The one that is mounted outside is really big compared to the one inside the unit. But I chose the bigger one because it had a nice mount that came with it and if I had lots of crap in an AUX tank, I can filter out more crap before I need to clean it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks