• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First post and looking at an M1009

OldScout

Hi all,

First post to the forum, and looking at purchasing my first M1009. I was a cav scout back when they were first put into service, but never had a chance to drive around in one. Did get a chance to drive 113's, Bradley's, the old jeeps, and a few other mil vehicles.

The vehicle is about 4 hours away from me, but I have talked to the current owner on the phone and it seems like the cucv is in great shape, no rust, newly painted, new top, 4" lift with HMMWV tires on it.

Just wanted to see if I could get any advise on what to look for as I am looking it over, and driving it. I'm not a diesel mechanic by any means, but not bad with a wrench and have a good understanding of auto mechanics, especially the older kind with no microchips under the hood!

Thanks for any advice, and I look forward to learning from the forum.

Thanks,

OldScout (Tim)

iacucv

As told to me by my diesel mechanic when I asked him what to look for when checking out my newly acquired m1008 - "check the oil, if it has water/antifreeze in it might have head gasket or worse issues, if it smells like diesel the rings are in bad shape". I also checked the trans fluid make sure its good red color doesn't look or smell burnt, crawl around underneath it make sure theres no leaks near the harmonic balancer, where the engine/trans mate, where the trans/transfer case mate, or driveshaft output. Leaks any of these places could mean some time dropping trans etc to replace a seal. Take a look at the harmonic balancer, check to see if the rubber is cracked and dry rotted. Wiring not hacked up or burned up. Rockers, fenders, wheel wells, inside lower of door for rust, as well as floor pans. Vibrations while driving could mean some work too. I'm sure someone will chime in with more but as a former bodyman, amature mechanic and lurking on here that's what I looked for.