• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fixing up my MEP-803A"

majoday

What is the best way to proceed.?I removed # 1, the bottom looks great, all of the top is rusted. The fuel system was terribly contaminated.

Guyfang

Staff member
There are a bunch of folks going to jump in here. Surprised @Ray70 is not here first! I am the TM nag. I hope you have taken advantage of the >TM's here in the forum. The Military considered the Pumps to be Pluck & Chuck. The Lister Peter books are here also. They are pretty straight forward. Unscrew the bottom and it simply SHOULD come apart. You should soak them. Pay attention to how it came apart. Keep everything clean. Now its time to hit the hay. The experts will be in on this soon and give you pointers much better then mine.

Ray70

Ha! I'm late because I was tied up working.... ;)
Anyway, I'm better with the 002/003 pumps than 802/803 but from what I recall you take the top nut off ( the one under the line nut ) and the guts are mostly accessible through the top.
The clip on the bottom "unhooks" off the plunger ( spring needs to be compressed a little ) and the spring comes off the bottom, while the plunger itself goes up and out through the top.
There were a couple guys recently who posted some good pictures. maybe try searching to see what you can find, but try searching for issues like "won't start" or "no fuel" , if you don't find it searching for "metering pump rebuild"

Ray70

Looks like the subsequent posts have you moving in the right direction.
I'll throw Uniquify's post into this thread too.... for future searchers to find metering pump pictures more easily!

Guyfang

Staff member
Good start on pictures! There are a few things you can see that need attention. I will lead off with the Quad Mod. Thats a Modification to add a fuse to the Volt regulator circuit.

Tell us what you have done so far, if anything.

majoday

Well, I attached the fuse, but am waiting on the MOV. Today I also checked all connections, except the twist kind. Tightened several. Vacumed out sand and crud. Tightened adjustment cable. Prior work: cleaned IP's and lines. replaced fuel return line. Cleaned attachment ports in I/J's. Cleaned fuel tank. Urdered Bung. Checked antifreeze coolant.

majoday

What are Stickies? I have been reading the Generators Forum and have seen pictures. The info is great. I copied and pasted on MS Word some info.
I did not order the 14D151K MOV, the in-USA appears to be out of stock. I will run the motor soon , but pull the fuse on Pin 8 to disable the gen head. In the mean time, i will find the MOV.

Guyfang

Staff member
What are Stickies? I have been reading the Generators Forum and have seen pictures. The info is great. I copied and pasted on MS Word some info.

Stickies. When you first open up the SS web page, scroll down (for ever) until you see Other Military Machines. Click there. The first 6-7 threads had what looks like a thumb tack in the middle of the thread. They stay there. Never move down. They contain Incredible information. Most, (not all) of the ones you should read are from Daybreak.

nextalcupfan

I did not order the 14D151K MOV, the in-USA appears to be out of stock. I will run the motor soon , but pull the fuse on Pin 8 to disable the gen head. In the mean time, i will find the MOV.
The MOV protects the voltage regulator not the gen head. So I don't think pulling the fuse to the gen head will actually help.
I might be able to send one, when I bought my MOV's 2 years ago I got a pack of them.

I found my purchase link, apparently they are FengHui.
You mentioned you wanted made in USA though.

EDIT: I did a quick search and Mouser has 7,000 ready to ship. Brand Bourns.
I would trust them from Mouser personally.

majoday

The MOV protects the voltage regulator not the gen head. So I don't think pulling the fuse to the gen head will actually help.
I might be able to send one, when I bought my MOV's 2 years ago I got a pack of them.

Ordered them. Thanks for the guidance. I did not know anything about them.

majoday

Thank you! I ordered 10!!

majoday

Well, the Mod w/ a fuse and a MOV is done. I started the set today. 60cy/240v charged batts. Ran rough. I/p's ccw to stop. Initially black smoke some white. Cleared up some. Temps #1 170, #2 190's,#3 190's #4 220's. I did not remove and clean the IJs It may make more sense to buy new. I have not found anything on r n repair for I/J's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks