• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flasher Relay Questions

SierraHotel

Being that I am a lowly roofing consultant, and not an electrical engineer (and that I want to quit buying flasher units!), I’ve got some questions/clarifications for Bjorn’s relay modification. I’m sure his sketch is simple and straightforward for someone that has a clue, unfortunately it would appear I do not. I’d rather not buy yet another flasher because I misinterpreted it.

1. Is my sketch correct for the hookup of the relay? Are the A & C wires hooked up to the X1 & X2 posts or the A1 & A2 posts.
2. The relay I bought came with a diode (black with a light blue stripe) between X1 and X2, is this adequate or does the diode need to connect wires A and C after the relay?
3. Can the relay be used for other things such as the headlights and convoy lights concurrently, or is it just one relay for one item.

Enquiring (and frustrated) minds want to know…thanks Bjorn!

Attachments

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You got it right. Make sure that the diode has its band ("light blue stripe") facing the X1 terminal.

One relay per application, this one is energized only when the flasher module is "on".

BTW, nice drawing.

dabtl

Flashers are subject to rapid failure from electrical surges. The new flashers especially. Bjorn has designed a protective circuit that eliminates the failures from that cause. I put one on my M35 that had blown two flashers rapidly. No more problems.

Blacksmoke

Is there a link to the original write-up with the specs of the parts? Just replaced my flasher with a brand new one & would rather not have it fried.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blacksmoke, access the forum and do a search with "flasher" and "relay" as keywords. You will get a lot of information regarding the turn signal flasher and also the headlight relay fix (to prevent an overload of the light switch circuit breaker). This and more have also been covered in my articles in the Military Vehicles Magazine (see "Resources").

tmallow2004

I see what you're doing. The flasher is driving the low current coil on the relay instead of the lights directly. The relay contacts take the surge. Can you give me a source and model number for that relay? Or rather, a current rating (DC and pulsed) for the relay contacts? Think I may want to install this setup.

Thanks,

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look for mil spec relays on ebay (too costly to buy new, for me anyway) with a 28 vdc coil and 10 to 25 amp contacts, they can handle the inrush currents and in case of a short circuit, trip the circuit breaker.
Typically a 25 amp rated mil spec relay can handle a 10 amp "lamp load", which is more than enough for this application.

Blacksmoke

I work on industrial machinery & most industrial controls now are 24VDC. When we junk out machines I grab a few relays. I already have these relays installed on my truck: brake light switch to give 12V to my trailer brake controller, relay for my dash lights to run a 12V bulb for my pyro since I couldn't find the right bulb in 24V, & I have a relay box at the back of the truck to convert brake, turn, & tail to 12V for my 7 pin RV plug. Sounds like I will be adding a couple more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks