• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FLORIDA REGISTRATION - ANYONE?

EmeryAndCompany

Looking to register the rig here in FL. It has a Georgia license plate currently from previous owner and I have the title and old registration. DMV is telling me that I can’t register ex-military vehicles in Florida.... need some good news here.....

Sasquatchak

Try a third party DMV services place. I didnt have any problems with a couple of mine, they were FL titles though.

I find that if its an out of state title (regardless of state you are titling in) thats not in your name they want to do inspections/questions/etc. Just my experience.

Maybe you could go to georgia and transfer title there?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will say I do not know. Most all my trucks trailers I have owned and Fl. title for years. 915 and 373 trailer have had antique tags for years. Have insurance on 1088 just waiting for antique tag from Tallahassee. Been about four months since I bought the M37 that had a previous FL. title. When I got it went to my DMV put it in my name. Got insurance and got my antique tag.

FloridaAKM

When I bought my first Deuce, it came from N Georgia out of Robins AFB. IIFC, I took all the paperwork to the local DMV & got a Florida title & tag to go along with the insurance & hit the road. That was a few years ago, but I don't think anything changed since then. Good luck with getting your, As a prior poster stated, try a different DMV location as they should be up to date on the actual laws, not what the person behind the counter thinks about the subject.

WildernessJeep

Tow4 with the win!

I was going to say register in Montana for permanent plates, but it looks like Florida does permanent plates on military vehicles, too. Good to know!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I had an antique tag on the 1088 before and I should have just kept it registered. Now they want me to take the truck to a regional DMV office and have a road worthiness inspection. I do not know if they just started this or what the inspection will in tail. I am going to call Monday to see what they are looking for / at. If it does not have what they are looking for I am not going to take a whole day to drive to Lake City just to have them say no. Got my fingers crossed that is not to bad of inspection and my 1088 will pass. Everything is working on it so we will see.

Attachments

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I had an antique tag on the 1088 before and I should have just kept it registered. Now they want me to take the truck to a regional DMV office and have a road worthiness inspection. I do not know if they just started this or what the inspection will in tail. I am going to call Monday to see what they are looking for / at. If it does not have what they are looking for I am not going to take a whole day to drive to Lake City just to have them say no. Got my fingers crossed that is not to bad of inspection and my 1088 will pass. Everything is working on it so we will see.

I'm going to guess that they give it the full commercial vehicle inspection that they'd give to a commercial truck tractor, with the intent to tell you "NO!"

Please post back with actual results. I hope to be wrong ...

Last edited:

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to guess that they give it the full commercial vehicle inspection that they'd give to a commercial truck tractor, with the intent to tell you "NO!"

Not sure what you are doing James. My experience with the permanent antique tags is if you are getting a new tag, it has to go directly through the DMV (I can't remember which division) in Tallahassee. There is a form to fill out and send in. I'll look it up when I get home.

Previously, the local tag agency could not issue the tag at the local level. All I have done at the local office is transfer an existing permanent antique tag from a ex-military vehicle I sold, to a new one that I purchased.

Ray is the last person I personally know that went through the process. Give him a call.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes Ray I went through Tallahassee with the correct forms. Yes I talked to Ray #1 and he said they had to look at his truck too. For Ray #1 they did not do a inspection like in other states where they check everything including if you have hemorrhoids just wanted to check numbers and see that it really a MV. As I said they did not ask me to do this on my 915 or 373 trailer or the M37. As said I have and went through Tallahassee with correct forms for all my antique tags. Yes I went through Tallahassee with correct forms when I first got the 1088 and had my antique tag. I was not using the 1088 so I gave back the tag and canceled the insurance. They did not ask me to have it road worthiness inspection the first time and now they are. What it also sounds like if I go to the regional office close to me they will also give me my former military vehicle tag right there. I will call Morning and see what they want and how they want it.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm in Perry Florida. Contact the Tax Collector here. I had to initially school them, but once they figured it out, they gave me a regular tag for my 5 ton. I'm sure they'll give you one as well. PM me if you need help.

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter

They didn't do that here. Once I educated them, I got a regular tag based on the vehicle weight.

Reactions: 98G

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks but I do not want a regular tag as I run all my stuff with antique tags. Believe the letter says horseless carriage but from what I hear there is a former military tag too for on road. We will see today.

Last edited:

Russ Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is an FMV tag, but it comes with restrictions on when and where you are permitted to drive the vehicle.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep got the former military tag and title done today. No mechanical inspection just wanted to see if it looked like it did when it came out of service. Correct paint and he did not want to see LED head lights. Good thing I never thought about changing them. He was not even worried that I did not have unit markings but that just may be him and how he feels. Yea restrictions but this truck is just going to be used at my local mud pit ( Hogwaller ) that is 10 miles down the road in my home town. Just another toy to play with.

Reactions: 98G

Scrounge41

Anyone in Florida have any leads on deuce insurance that doesn't require enclosed storage? Gulfway (The Hartford) isn't writing policies and Hagerty won't do it without the storage building.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks