• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fluid Balanced M939 Tires: 5 Year Follow-up

acme66

Years ago I balanced the tires on my M939A1 with antifreeze. Their were questions, fears and the occasional dire prediction of doom. Anyway, 5 years later I can answer some of those with real empirical data. I tried to put this at the end of the original post but it was closed, if a mod wants to tack it on there and delete this have at it.
To sum it up: tire rubber was fine, rims didn't rust out and the process worked. I also stopped bothering. I broke down and swapped tires/rims all the time for other reasons anyway and none of it seemed to matter. The trucks just sort of shake and vibrate as part of normal operation. In my opinion if you can feel it from the seat and the tires are warm you probably have some other more serious issue to deal with.
Regardless, I tried it, tested it and here are my results. You be you and make your own choices.
The link to the original video:
https://youtu.be/94-CdexJ3Xk
The 5 year follow-up:
https://youtu.be/JGnEHONeyVw
I also have the 5 year follow up video to the cylinder liner o-ring standard green vs. red heavy truck antifreeze test. Real empirical data rather than "but a guy said..." (spoiler: turns out the antifreeze especially designed for heavy truck motors and recommended by the manufacture for that truck motor does not harm said heavy truck motor or any of its internals. Go figure?)

fpchief

Years ago I balanced the tires on my M939A1 with antifreeze. Their were questions, fears and the occasional dire prediction of doom. Anyway, 5 years later I can answer some of those with real empirical data. I tried to put this at the end of the original post but it was closed, if a mod wants to tack it on there and delete this have at it.
To sum it up: tire rubber was fine, rims didn't rust out and the process worked. I also stopped bothering. I broke down and swapped tires/rims all the time for other reasons anyway and none of it seemed to matter. The trucks just sort of shake and vibrate as part of normal operation. In my opinion if you can feel it from the seat and the tires are warm you probably have some other more serious issue to deal with.
Regardless, I tried it, tested it and here are my results. You be you and make your own choices.
The link to the original video:
The 5 year follow-up:
I also have the 5 year follow up video to the cylinder liner o-ring standard green vs. red heavy truck antifreeze test. Real empirical data rather than "but a guy said..." (spoiler: turns out the antifreeze especially designed for heavy truck motors and recommended by the manufacture for that truck motor does not harm said heavy truck motor or any of its internals. Go figure?)
What antifreeze did you go with? I just watched your fluid balance video the other night. I am about to break down all of my tires starting this weekend for tire swaps.

fpchief

What antifreeze did you go with? I just watched your fluid balance video the other night. I am about to break down all of my tires starting this weekend for tire swaps.
And I am talking about engine antifreeze and not what you used in the tires.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks