• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV cargo cover frame assemblies

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the FMTV cargo cover frame assemblies (the bows that hold up the cargo cover) are modular? I have an M1085 LWB cargo and I have been unable to find a complete cargo cover frame assembly. However, I've seen plenty of them for the M1078s and M1083s. Could I buy a couple of those and make what I need out of them? If I need to shorten some of the top bows, that is fine. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you obtain the second generation bow setup, the stringers that go from bow to bow are simple aluminum tube, which you could replace with longer? tube for your application.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone know if the FMTV cargo cover frame assemblies (the bows that hold up the cargo cover) are modular? I have an M1085 LWB cargo and I have been unable to find a complete cargo cover frame assembly. However, I've seen plenty of them for the M1078s and M1083s. Could I buy a couple of those and make what I need out of them? If I need to shorten some of the top bows, that is fine. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
I think you could do that. As long as you have enough of the vertical supports, then all of the horizontal poles are just tube/pipe of the appropriate length. There are at least two frame designs, so if you end up buying two then make sure you get two of the same. for the long wheelbase truck, I'm not sure if you would be able to use 4 uprights, or still just 3. If you only need 3 then you could buy one LMTV frame and then buy some longer tubing to extend the one section. If you have to make longer tubes, I would recommend either stainless or aluminum.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you obtain the second generation bow setup, the stringers that go from bow to bow are simple aluminum tube, which you could replace with longer? tube for your application.
NDT, how can I tell the first generation from the second generation bow setup? Thanks!

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The first gen is made of steel and has the unshippable huge one piece bows, and has silly "leaf spring" appearing supports that go between the bows. Second gen is all aluminum and breaks completely down.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe mine is some kind of hybrid frame. It has square drop in style pockets for the horizontal poles to snap in but all of it is steel. The vertical pieces do break down, just not completely on mine. Mine didn't have any of the leaf springs either, but they could have just been left off. The horizontal steel poles on mine have rusted badly in a few spots where the straps on the inside tighten down on them.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Maybe mine is some kind of hybrid frame. It has square drop in style pockets for the horizontal poles to snap in but all of it is steel. The vertical pieces do break down, just not completely on mine. Mine didn't have any of the leaf springs either, but they could have just been left off. The horizontal steel poles on mine have rusted badly in a few spots where the straps on the inside tighten down on them.
The only other ones I have seen are like the GEN II 3 piece bow ones that Oxyacetylene describes made of a lighter weight steel then the heavy one piece bow gen I type. I have never seen any with bows made of aluminum maybe they were made for the airdrop version??

DanM7890

The only other ones I have seen are like the GEN II 3 piece bow ones that Oxyacetylene describes made of a lighter weight steel then the heavy one piece bow gen I type. I have never seen any with bows made of aluminum maybe they were made for the airdrop version??
My M1081 came with gen I series bows. Doesn't mean they came with them originally.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks