• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Competitor pics

As promised.

The three front views were taken through the fence at the Gaylord, MI DNR disposal lot in fall of 1994. The rear views were taken August 1995, when ODJEEPER and I recorded all the serial numbers. The one Tactical Truck entry is number TE003G. The others are Teledyne-Continental's contender.

As mentioned in the FMTV thread, we were informed these trucks were taken by a volunteer fire department in Maryland (or Virginia or Pennsylvania, someplace east of here) , around october 1995. They took the lot, hope they didn't destroy them all making brush trucks.

EDIT: I believe there were seven trucks total, 6 teledynes and 1 tactical truck. Have to look for those notes later.

Attachments

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Boy there are some trucks you just wish you could have hold on to or at least find out where they are and what is happening to them. For me it is a 1959 CJ3B I built with my dad back in Indiana.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are looking at original design prototypes here, I think I can finally ask this question, "why place the crane at the end of the bed" as if it was an afterthought, I see it on FMTVs and HEMTTs?
With a dozen years of experience with the knuckleboom, being able to clear the road in front of the truck has been more than handy, also, with a behind-the-cab location I can haul loads that extend over the bed and also alter the CG to compensate for heavy loads and to traverse side slopes.
The forward positioning of the crane also makes it possible to use it as a substitute for a winch...in any direction.
It can also be used as a tow truck...the list goes on.
Oh, and the centrally located hydraulic outriggers makes it possible to raise the vehicle such as any tire can be removed without using a jack.

Attachments

BobS

The location of the crane has nothing to do with convenience in operation-that is a function of the crane itself. Weight and balance of the loaded vehicle determines where it is placed. when it is at the rear, that means 2 things-the front axle would be overloaded if placed behind the cab, and also it means that the bed load CG is not placed optimally for the tandems or single rear axle. A trade study came up at TAACOM on this very issue for the FMTV program-behind the bed was not an option for the design and packaging required (which was given a higher value to the end user). Right or Wrong? No comment-it was the way it was.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
BobS said:
The location of the crane has nothing to do with convenience in operation-that is a function of the crane itself. Weight and balance of the loaded vehicle determines where it is placed. when it is at the rear, that means 2 things-the front axle would be overloaded if placed behind the cab, and also it means that the bed load CG is not placed optimally for the tandems or single rear axle. A trade study came up at TAACOM on this very issue for the FMTV program-behind the bed was not an option for the design and packaging required (which was given a higher value to the end user). Right or Wrong? No comment-it was the way it was.
The front axle loading is an issue, I removed the front winch and installed larger tires to compensate. The boom is used to balance the loading.

smokeydabear

I recieved one of those for our fire dept out of that lot. We had it for around 8 months before they called to tell us they needed it back.The program lets you use it till either you no longer need it or they need it back. I was told a government contractor purchased all of them to take over to iraq for use over there. I will dig up my pics and figure out how to post them.

Alredneck

Banned
Um is that a bullet hole in the front of the last truck pic ( original set ) ? What they shooting them with?

No, not a bullet hole. These trucks were never tested for combat, just transport. That is probably a hole from a wrecker boom or tow bar. May have been parked to close to the back of another when the support leg was lowered or something.

Smokey---when did you have that truck? At Fife Lake?:eek: And I never heard about it? I have friends at South Boardman that should have told me!!

rmgill

Bjorn, a lot of european trucks have similar setups. The advantage is that you can get the rear end near towards places you want to get the load and you're not reaching over the cab which may or may not be a good idea in a service filled with Private Murpheys.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn:
I think your truck is the coolest. If I could I would add a crane like yours no questions asked. I see a lot of Hybib cranes on little bitty trucks over here in Korea. The way they load a front end loader on one of the little porter Kia trucks is something to behold I am going to try and video that before I leave.

BobS

Very nice pics of the Teledyne truck. Brings back a lot of good memories. Dang those things rode nice.

Best regards,

Bob

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Great thread gang! I love prototype trucks. I was looking at buying a 939 prototype last year. It had a lot of neat features that didn't make it on the final version.

Smokey--
Thanks for the pics. So that one didn't go far from Gaylord after all. What was the time on that, when you guys had it? I find it hard to believe that anyone would send that truck and it's abused brothers to Iraq, unless they were using the chassis for a complete rebuild or test bed for new modifications.

Cdub

Looks like Schott's had a couple of these MV's up at his yard......

I'm guessing he got them from the Marines along with the five tons and HMMWVs..??

Does anyone know the M number for these trucks.......??

Cheers,

C'dub

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks