• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV Special Tools

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased some FMTV special tools kits and listed the extras in the classifieds. After posting, I realized how often I search for information on special tools and thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to consolidate the information. Many of the special tools have dimensioned technical drawings in the TM or in other places on the net. Hopefully, a series of photos and other data will assist those looking for special tool information.

To start this thread:

FMTV SPECIAL TOOLS KIT
Part Number: 57K2708-003
NSN: 5180015459967

View attachment 57K2708-003 Packing List.pdf5180-01-545-9967 Crate.jpg5180-01-545-9967 Label.jpg
2590-01-559-6922.jpg2590-01-559-7459.jpg5120-01-090-9319.jpg5120-01-144-5324.jpg4910-01-559-7072.jpg2590-01-559-6860.jpg5120-01-362-2027.jpg5120-01-496-3967.jpg5120-01-479-2401.jpg5120-01-430-5329.jpg5120-01-362-2026.jpg5120-01-496-8904.jpg5120-01-560-1910.jpg5120-01-560-1911.jpg

Additional photos in next post

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I the cover comes with the hub kit, then you get the cover machined into the ring. With the ring dial indicators are not needed, you can feel for lash.

coachgeo

I the cover comes with the hub kit, then you get the cover machined into the ring. With the ring dial indicators are not needed, you can feel for lash.
What is the "Cover" and "Ring" you are referring too? I've got a hub to cut down now and have the intention of setting it up as your recommending.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Extra Special Tools

I assume the extras have been sold out?
Reworked LMTV,

Sorry, the extra FMTV Special Tools Kits were sold. However, I will be glad to take measurements, photos, etc of the kit I have.

I do have an extra "3 IN 1 SEAL TOOL", PN 12489331, NSN 5120-01-560-9421 if that would help.

firefinder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a reference of where the "3 IN 1 SEAL TOOL", PN 12489331, NSN 5120-01-560-9421 is actually used? I have been unable to a reference of anything other than "seal driver" used on FMTV's.

Reworked LMTV

Nope bandsaw and a lathe to face it pretty. Cover came from a hub kit I bought. When my lathe up and running. I may be able to help more
Hi Darrell,
Ok, I have the cover now. What should I tell my machinist to do, as far as the measurements of the cuts?

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
in a discussion with a machinist he mentioned...... why not just drill/mill a window (or two)? into the cover to measure thru instead.
It's a lot easier to see what you're doing, and reach in there, if the whole thing is open. I suppose you could try to figure out what the minimum access you need is, but it seems like a rather pointless project. All you're trying to do is hold the spider in place, while you take measurements. If anything, go the other way and just make "u-joint straps".

coachgeo

It's a lot easier to see what you're doing, and reach in there, if the whole thing is open. I suppose you could try to figure out what the minimum access you need is, but it seems like a rather pointless project. All you're trying to do is hold the spider in place, while you take measurements. If anything, go the other way and just make "u-joint straps".
understand...... so its kinda a balance between- tools you have / dont have....... and vision to see what your doing. Real good point on the vision side of things.

so sounds like it comes down too.... most folk have drills and have/can easily, get some step bits to put various large holes next to each other for windows..... Not many have Bandsaws and Lathes.

but honestly.... in reality isn't all you really need is a machined straight edge, dial indicator and math? Measure things, and do the shim math to determine what you need before you even put the spicer in there. Avoids putting it in... then taking it right back out to install the shims. That is less to carry around and or stow in your home shop than a big ol ring (granted harder to misplace big ol ring.) Least that is how the machinist saw it when setting up axles on my twuck. We had a machine shop 15ft away to craft up a spare hub into a ring and he thought it was an odd way to go about a simple task with a calculator.

Last edited:

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
understand...... so its kinda a balance between- tools you have / dont have....... and vision to see what your doing. Real good point on the vision side of things.

so sounds like it comes down too.... most folk have drills and have/can easily, get some step bits to put various large holes next to each other for windows..... Not many have Bandsaws and Lathes.

but honestly.... in reality isn't all you really need is a machined straight edge, dial indicator and math? Measure things, and do the shim math to determine what you need before you even put the spicer in there. Avoids putting it in... then taking it right back out to install the shims. That is less to carry around and or stow in your home shop than a big ol ring (granted harder to misplace big ol ring.) Least that is how the machinist saw it when setting up axles on my twuck. We had a machine shop 15ft away to craft up a spare hub into a ring and he thought it was an odd way to go about a simple task with a calculator.
You're just overthinking this. We want something that provides easy access, and is easy to measure from. Just drilling holes in a regular hub cover is neither of those (and borderline "impossible to use"). Being able to measure it directly avoids indirect measurements and math, which add error/tolerance and more possibility of mistakes.

B-Dog

More info here on straightedge/tools vs cutting up a hub cover.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks