• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV vrs LMTV

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FMTV stands for Family of Medium Tactical Vehicles and refers to all of them, regardless of which model or weight capability (M1078, M1083, etc.).

LMTV stands for Light Medium Tactical Vehicle and refers to the 2.5-ton/2-axle version. (M1078, 1079, M1080, etc)

The 5-ton/3-axle versions (M1083 et al) are often referred to as the MTV.

Cheers

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As far as I know, yes. The goal was as much parts commonality between versions as possible, which they seem to have achieved.
But, as always, I stand to be corrected! :)

Cheers

Jones

Rory,
It looks like the front axles are the same but the part numbers for the rear, intermediate and rear, rear axles are off by one digit and one letter. RS-12611-NSFS-11-780 for the LMTV rear vs. RR-15611-NSFS-11-780 for the rear, rear on the MTVs.
Intermediate rears are completely different because of the driveline requirements.
Further, there are two intermediate, rears and two rear, rears listed in the ETM depending on the UOC ("used on code")
The internal parts I glanced at are all the same so it has to do with the housings.

Knowing the military, it might be as subtle as a hose bracket mounted pointing a different direction.

Here are the LMTV and MTV rear axle pages from the manual for comparison.

Attachments

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks Leonard! That all stands to reason, particularly with the many different versions of the 5-ton, some of which, like the wrecker, must be very heavy.

Would we be safe saying most of the rear axle parts are the same?

Cheers

Jones

Looks like almost all of the rear/rear are, Rory. 2 1/2 vs. 5 ton must be mostly in the springs/suspension. Could also be 'military math'-- two 2 1/2 ton axles equals one 5 ton.

Some but not all are for the intermediate/rear are because of the way it's driven. i.e. the blind-nosed differential carrier and power coming down through the rotational energy delivery extension.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks