• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fort Drum auction

rdixiemiller

houdel said:
Mine is an LDT and pretty anemic at that. I have to give it full throttle to start it and then play with the throttle to keep it in the 800-1000 prm range until all 6 cylinders are running smoothly. It starts kind of like the old Pratt-Whitney radial aircraft engines, first one cylinder fires, then it sputters along as more cylinders start firing and eventually all six start firing, the process takes about 2-3 seconds to get all 6 running. Even then I still have to play with the throttle a few more seconds, if I release the throttle too soon it will die on me. I have to gradually ease up on the throttle to keep it below 1000 rpm, but still give it extra throttle to keep it over 800 rpm until it has been running for 10-15 seconds. Once it is warmed up it will restart normally without any fiddling with the throttle. I have the ether start system, I'm told that ether engines are like that. Of course I haven't changed out my fuel filters yet, I've also heard a dirty primary filter will cause hard starting.
Sounds like your in-tank fuel pump is not pumping, or you have an air leak. I almost ran mine dry one time, and it started like that, 1 cylinder, then another, until all 6 were firing. Except for that one time, mine always bumps over about 2 rounds and fires up on all six, winter, summer, cold or hot. I never have to set the hand throttle, nor play with anything. I must also admit, I haven't changed my filters since I bought the truck 16 months ago. It runs so good, I haven't messed with them.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard top deuce

Today, I changed the oil and oil filters. I also changed the fuel filters. I went for a short ride with the wife to see if it (fuel filters) made any difference. The fist thing I noticed was that the engine had great oil pressure and was more quiet than before. I also was very surprised at how much better it now accelerates and maintains speed (50 mph steady) easily! :lol: I was really happy until we stopped at the end of a dead end road and went to put it in reverse to back up. As I moved the shifter from neutral to reverse all of a sudden I felt the shifter fall out of my hand and on to the floor by my right foot! My wife and I just looked at each other with serious looks of amazement on our faces! I began to laugh because crying was not going to help this situation! The shift lever actually broke off of it's base (It looks like it has been cracked for some time). Luckily I had a small tool box with us, so I put some vise-grips on the stub but I could not shift in to reverse (too much side load) and the vice-grips would push over (slip). aua So I pulled out a rack of sockets and found a 3/4" socket fit snug on the stub. I then stuck a 6" extension on that! Voila, I now had a chrome shifter! [thumbzup] We then had no trouble getting home except for the uncontrollable laughter from both of us, every time I would shift. When we got home I just put the other truck's shifter on it for now. Then we went out for ice-cream and a nice ride(probably about 60 miles) Everything went well and I really am liking this truck. :)

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will weld it back together soon. Right now though to get the welder out, I need to move the other deuce, my car, my 3 wheeler, my riding mower and a few small things out from in front of it!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really,I just need a bigger garage! :)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
SAFTEY

Oh Yeah, Also today after checking for leaks, I put the 6' stepladder back in the back of the truck. While it was warming up I noticed a squeak that drove me nuts! I didn't feel like putting the tailgate back down and getting the ladder out again so, I grabbed a lawn chair nearby to look closer at the hood hinges(squeaking). :cookoo: As I stepped back down on to the chair I was surprised to feel my foot go right through the chair and hit the ground! At the same time my other foot was still on the front bumper. aua As I lay on the ground in severe pain ( I have chronic low back pain, and I have degenerative cartilage in my knees, One knee I just had surgery on recently) I thought ;how stupid that was. That hurt bad! So the moral to this story is don't be LAZY. Play it safe every time!
Sorry, I couldn't reach the camera as I lay there in pain! I know how you guys like pictures!

Attachments

Lax

Okay.... put down the wrench and step away from the truck. It's time Eric poo took a little napy poo. :cookoo: Hahahaha!! I would say you need a new hobby but that is what got you here in the first place! :lol:

Maybe you need to take a little break now before someone gets hurt. :grd: Hahaha. Be carefull. If you die I won't have anyone to ask my stupid questions to and I don't think you have had time to put me in your will yet to get your trucks. :twisted: haha. See ya soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Run out to the back 40 and get another shifter. Seriously though, a friend has one of those steps that hooks on the front tire. Really cool item. Ahh, hood hinges. Those rattly bastages. One day I'm going to send a box of them to RDM and have them bushed with bronze and add zerks, same with the blasted door hinges. Both are a source of unsightly rust and the hood hinges, well, I can't say what I think about them.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
m.walker said:
Is that the fancy craftsman shifter or the cheap tiawan one ? and now you have a port-a-potty !

Craftsman, of course!