• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a tank................

KsM715

What a disapointment. :cry:

The back story. About a year and half ago my dad reminded me that my moms cousin had a tank on his far that the farmer before him had converted back in the 50's to pull plow on the farm. Dad did not know what it was or what it looked like. (Dad had a stroke a few years ago and is in good health now but his memory is off). So for the past year Ive been trying to get some intel on this thing. I had visions of a sherman with something welded on the back to pull with and possibly missing the turret. Boy was I surprised when I actually got to see the thing on our yearly summer trip up to the Black Hills. This thing is located just south of Chadron Neb. about 60 miles south of the Hills.

I tried looking for anysort of data plate but there was none to be found. The owner said it was a tank retriever. The farmer from the 50's gutted it and only used the hull. All the rest went to the scrap yard over the years. Its got 2 huge motors under the cab driving hyd. motors at the wheels. Its supposed to have some home made tracks. One set of tracks covering 2 wheels per side.

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I can't be certain, Bubba sure worked this one over. But I'm guessing it's a M3 or M5 light tank, that had a LOT of stuff cut off it, and added to it. Reason I say those is because it looks like a small armored hull, not big enough to be a Sherman or a tank retriever.

Whatever it was, it's gone now. Scrap it, and put it out of our misery. :(

KsM715

I only got one pic. I was so disapointed I lost all enthusiasm (sp?)

I was set to go home and sell everything (the toys) I had to buy it if it were still salvagable.

I'll tell you what though. This farmer (the former) was no Bubba. My moms cousin had some other stuff around that this guy built. One thing was a 24' rototiller. Built on the back of some truck from the 50's, had 3 flathead cadillac motors in it.

I go to the hills twice a year. When I go at Thanksgiving Ill stop again and get more pics if he still has it. He's been looking for some museums to come and get the stuff. He's been cleaning up the place and hauling alot of scrap but I dont think he wants to scrap this stuff. Its got some historical value around there. I guess the former farmer (M.J. Cain) was know around there for building his own equipment.

KsM715

I believe the motors will but I saw the driveshafts from one wheel to the next laying in the seat. It looked like it had a hyd. motor on each corner (4 total, 2 per side) with a shaft going to the next set of wheels. I think I might have a ppic of that on that camera. let me look

Edit: I did have one other pic. I am completely wrong, one hyd. motor per wheel set. Im not sure how the driveshafts that I saw fit into the set up

Attachments

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

Well I like it! It appears the person responsible had some real fabricating skills, It looks as if alot of time and thought went into this...... and its got 6 hole buds on it:grin:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wonder what it was... There's only a few that have the 4 pneumatic tires (M56 comes to mind). Then there's the 50's timeline. Is it as small as it looks? A M8 kind of looks similar but would require ALOT of cutting/welding to make it remotely similar. Anyone have any thoughts on what it was?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It would make a great Kiddie Ride for all the MV Events. Buy some of these and tow them behide it.....:p

Attachments

rickf

I would think it would have to have tracks on the whole side even though you can see it didn't. How else would you steer it? Is that the very first skid steer? All wheels would have to be connected on each side.

Rick

AMX

I would think it would have to have tracks on the whole side even though you can see it didn't. How else would you steer it? Is that the very first skid steer? All wheels would have to be connected on each side.

Rick

Steer by running hydraulic motors one direction on one side and the opposite direction on the other.

KsM715

Steer by running hydraulic motors one direction on one side and the opposite direction on the other.

I believe this is how it was steered. In the cab there were only 2 control sticks in front of the single bench seat. Just like driving a excavator.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not convinced it's an MV. Need more pics. The suspension and exposed hydraulics just don't look right.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks