• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

From Montana

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Just joined here, I am from Montana. Haven’t gotten a MV yet though will start on a bid on one come 1st of next month (M931). Plenty of seat time in a M988 and a M816 in the sandbox with other vehicles such as Kamaz’s and Scania’s
Tired of where I live if I need to get to town it’s depicted on if it rained or snowed in the past few days and nearest asphalt is 30 miles away. Nothing worse than going to town with a semi or traveling somewhere to come home not able to get up the last few miles up a ridge, then having to walk last few miles to get my loader to pull myself up. Looks like lots of useful information here, my first plan after maintenance is to put some lockers in once I find some.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Just joined here, I am from Montana. Haven’t gotten a MV yet though will start on a bid on one come 1st of next month (M931). Plenty of seat time in a M988 and a M816 in the sandbox with other vehicles such as Kamaz’s and Scania’s
Tired of where I live if I need to get to town it’s depicted on if it rained or snowed in the past few days and nearest asphalt is 30 miles away. Nothing worse than going to town with a semi or traveling somewhere to come home not able to get up the last few miles up a ridge, then having to walk last few miles to get my loader to pull myself up. Looks like lots of useful information here, my first plan after maintenance is to put some lockers in once I find some.
I'm sorry that you live in Miles City. I lived there a good many years working for Pat Roos. I don't miss any of it. Especially the 40 below with 60mph winds.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
I'm sorry that you live in Miles City. I lived there a good many years working for Pat Roos. I don't miss any of it. Especially the 40 below with 60mph winds.
:ROFLMAO: Actually I chose to live here of all places and love it. Technically I live between Miles City, Broadus, and Colstrip, no I don’t live on Moon Creek but is one road I take to get to mine. I go the back way to town, less bumpy at 50 mile trip which short way had me rebuilding my battery box and fiberglass repairing the hood of my semi.
I had residence in Tennessee before, Clarksville that is.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Any thinking there might be a influx of these MV's namely 5 ton ones or larger, and MV's with air brakes in the future due to lack of buyers since everyone needing a CDL to drive one can't without going to school now?

ToddJK

Welcome to the site and thanks for your service!
Hopefully you find something you like! Could always keep any eye on the classifieds too, I've seen quite a few 5 tons up for sale over the last year. At least you don't have to deal with a lot of hassles going through a private sale and a lot of other SS members tend to take care of their trucks, just food for thought.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Welcome to the site and thanks for your service!
Hopefully you find something you like! Could always keep any eye on the classifieds too, I've seen quite a few 5 tons up for sale over the last year. At least you don't have to deal with a lot of hassles going through a private sale and a lot of other SS members tend to take care of their trucks, just food for thought.
Thanks, I have found one a M931 in Kansas I have to wait till the bidding wars open on June 1st, but in mean time I will keep searching. Maybe take a trip down there before I place a bid. Trying to stay under the $10k budget, not expecting anything in perfect order I do turn wrenches if need be.

ToddJK

Thanks, I have found one a M931 in Kansas I have to wait till the bidding wars open on June 1st, but in mean time I will keep searching. Maybe take a trip down there before I place a bid. Trying to stay under the $10k budget, not expecting anything in perfect order I do turn wrenches if need be.
Is this a Government Liquidation or a different auction? If they will let you look at it, that sure would be helpful before bidding on it as to know what to expect.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Here is what I'm looking at, there is 48 pictures but a few will surmise. The anti freeze bottle in the floorboard has me concerned with the wrench along with looks like something is hanging under the dash on left hand side of the steering column.
M931.pngM9311.pngM9312.pngM9313.png

ToddJK

I saw that, not sure what that switch is, noticed the tools too, raises questions for sure. Looks like a nice truck though in decent shape. Hopefully they let you look at it or at least tell you if it's in running condition and if so, if it's road worthy. Sometimes they aren't very thorough on their descriptions

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Welcome to the Outfit!

Hope you can find something that will make you smile as you rumble down the road. Don't be in a hurry. Shop around and see it running if you can. Pretty can be made to happen with a wire brush and a few rattle cans if the underpinnings are good.

Keep us posted and if you find something, snap a few pictures and don't hesitate to ask the guys for opinions...

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
This is what I'm tired of doing and fighting, I'm only few hundred feet from my driveway, drove 8 hrs after loading all these totes up in the snow it's around midnight and it gets stuck like this. I just parked it and retrieved it the next morning.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
I saw that, not sure what that switch is, noticed the tools too, raises questions for sure. Looks like a nice truck though in decent shape. Hopefully they let you look at it or at least tell you if it's in running condition and if so, if it's road worthy. Sometimes they aren't very thorough on their descriptions
If I have to I will trailer it home, I got the tools do so if the price is right.

ToddJK

This is what I'm tired of doing and fighting, I'm only few hundred feet from my driveway, drove 8 hrs after loading all these totes up in the snow it's around midnight and it gets stuck like this. I just parked it and retrieved it the next morning.
That road definitely looks like a pita. Yeah, you need one of those 5 tons! Put some good meat on it and it'll tear that road up with the trailer on it.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Welcome to the Outfit!

Hope you can find something that will make you smile as you rumble down the road. Don't be in a hurry. Shop around and see it running if you can. Pretty can be made to happen with a wire brush and a few rattle cans if the underpinnings are good.

Keep us posted and if you find something, snap a few pictures and don't hesitate to ask the guys for opinions...
Thanks, and I'm in no hurry, I will say I am the luckiest person I know and have great luck in acquiring things for next to nothing or free. As I will say some things happen for a reason, got to find the good in it even though you might not see it right away, and if I back out or lose this bid there is something better waiting for me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks