• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front Axle Engagement

Dipstick

I drove my bobber to work tonight and it is snowing. I had my Ouverson hubs in the locked position while in 2wd. Can I engage my front axle via the air shift transfer case lever while my truck is rolling/moving? I've read the operator's manual. I've read a few TMs and done a bunch of Googling, but I still can't seem to find the answer. I know there are a lot of you gentlemen out there with vastly more experience than I have. How about it guys can I engage 4wd while moving? Thanks!

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gimp there's a speed limitiion also right can't remember on deuce but has to be under 20 mile per hour

Ya probably want to keep it under 45mph when you shift "on the fly" just to be on the safe side. Even if you have a spare t-case sitting around, it's still a pain in the tuchuss if you have to change it. I'd rather Bob 3 more deuces than have to change a trans or t-case on my own bobber. Them thangs are freakin heavy! lol

Dipstick

Thanks digger, Kenm and redbeard. I probably will engage the front axle before I leave work. We're getting freezing rain now, so it should be amusing. I have a pretty decent hill on Rt. 173 West I have to dragonfly up and down. I guess the real reason I posed the question was because of those situations in which you find yourself going from dry conditions into slippery conditions. Around these parts road conditions can change very quickly due to elevation.

Dipstick

Brutus warming up.

This post is worthless without pictures.....Okay. Brutus at work. The lot has just been plowed and sanded. Outside air temp is 26.8.Brutus at Work.jpg

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
You can shift it in at any speed. That said, I don't recommend it. Its like those guys that don't lock their hubs before they get into mud. If you know your going to possibly need it, be ready for it.

Dipstick, if you think you might be driving through bad road conditions, put it in 4x when you leave. What are you going to do lose 2mpg and a little tire wear? Its not worth the trouble imho.

Dipstick

Thanks gimpy. I remember owning one 4wd pickup for which the manual stated, "Do not operate in 4wd on dry surfaces or damage to the drive line may result".

welldigger

The only real way driving a deuce in awd would be a problem is if you were doing a bunch of tight turning maneuvers or if you had diff locks. Other than that the deuce doesn't care. Since you have power steering it really won't be a problem.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:ditto: to post #2.

Take a look a that picture below... see the size of the dog-clutch halves, to connect both T-Case output shafts.

Those parts are the only ones that may "suffer" - if the rear axle was slipping while engaging the front. And believe me, they can take a lot of abuse! (I have yet to find an old, high-mile TC, showing any wear on the dogs.

On dry ground - stock, or in this case with lockout hubs in "lock"- both clutch halves will have nearly ZERO relative speed, at any speed! So YES, we can shift them "on the fly", and from the technical point of view, no speed restrictions, really.

But... I would not recommend driving a vehicle like this at high speeds - front axle engaged - on any surface, dry or slippery... unless you are very familiar with its completely different "road-manners", in 4x4 (or 6x6). PS- or not...!

G.

Attachments

Dipstick

Wow! Thank you gentlemen for more good information than I could have hoped for. It turned out that the roads were so well salted that they were only wet by morning, so I drove home at 40mph in 2wd. My new heater/defroster system worked really well and my refurbished air wipers also did the job. Although the passenger side wiper goes at about twice the speed of the driver's side. I'll keep all of your generous information in my memory banks for the future. Thanks G for the picture and explanation of the dog clutch. It is pretty darned hefty looking.

Dipstick

That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for mentioning it. I bet it's nice and warm in Florida about now. I'm jealous.

Dipstick

We're supposed to get two or three inches of snow tomorrow. I'm anxious to try it out. My foot will be hovering over the clutch pedal just in case. I'll report back with the results if the snow happens. I've been wondering how my Fstone T-831s will do in snow anyway.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I do remember that in low gear there are speed limits for each gear it was wrote on decal on dash.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks