• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front turn signal

Lax

Any help would be appreciated. The passenger front turn signal does not have power. I have power to the other bulbs in the turn signal assembly but not to the turn signal bulb. (the rear passenger turn signal works fine) I have tried to follow the wire back as far as I can but it runs into a wire harness that feeds the headlight I believe (all taped!!) then along the frame covered in oil, etc and I loose it towards the rear of the cab covered in so much oil and junk I can't see it.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this. It's not a huge deal but it is driving me crazy because I want everything to work perfectly at all times. Thanks for any help.

dabtl

It is either a short or a bad ground.

I removed all the lights, cleaned the mounts, fenders and replaced the nuts and bolts. Normally this solves the ground problem.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't believe it's a ground issue if all the other lights in the housing work. Did you check for power at the connector between the harness and light? If no power there, i'd start with turn signal assembly, check to see if power is being put out from the assembly.

wsucougarx

I had an issue with my 68. All my lights worked except the turn on the passenger side. I chased my tail for so a couple days and found it was a grounding issue.it threw me off since the parking and blackouts worked. Maybe my truck is just weird

Last edited:

kc4wd

Same here.....Rear passenger signal didn't work but the tail light did. Was a signal switch problem. Just needed to be cleaned.

Lax

Okay. I like your ideas but I would think that if the ground was bad then the other two bulbs in the light assembly would not work either but they do. Correct or no? I have put a tester on the socket and it is like brand new and clean but no power and no power to the wire behind it inside the fender.

The rear passenger turn signal works fine so if it was at the Turn Signal Switch would the rear work too? I appreciate all your help. Thanks.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All the lights are grounded separately. While I haven't seen the issue you are seeing, others have. I'd go with majority rule and check the gnd first. That is an easy fix.

scoutmanadam

check the ground and i think you will find the problem, and by check i mean, remove, clean the contact point on the vehicle, clean the wire itself, then reconnect. if not that, trace the power wire and follow its path and make sure its all intact. mine did the same thing and after hours of looking and probing with a test light, i just cleaned up the ground and it worked. good luck

Lax

I like the sound of that. It sounds like the light assembly is simply grounded to the fender by the four bolts that hold it on. Is that correct? If so, I will clean the fender contact areas and try it again. Stand by for results tomorrow morning. I sure hope it works! Thanks everyone.

wsucougarx

I used New stainless steel star washers on all the mounting holds (4 bolts on the fender, 2 bolts for mounting the light assy to the light guard). That'll help those bolts to dig into some metal to maximize ground.

dabtl

After a couple of years messing with deuces, I simply bought boxes of inside/outside star washers from Grainger Supply.

Ground problems are like gremlins popping up all the time. Change the star washers every time you work on the deuce.

Lax

Strike one. I just took the light assembly off the fender, ground away all the paint and rust on both the light base and on the fender, covered all ground areas with electrical grease, used new star washers for good contact and reassembled everything. The one light bulb is sure nice and bright now but still no blinky blinky with the other bulb. Now what? I made sure the connect was good and tight on on the back of the switch but that only screws on one way and it is either on or not. Pretty cut and dry. I'm going to try something new as soon as the tornado warning ends here near Syracuse, NY.

dabtl

I learned to get a multi meter and put on a 20 or so foot extension to test the circuits. You either have a wire shorted or a problem with the turn signal. The turn signal can be cleaned. I tend to think it is a short in the wiring. But, the multi meter continuity testing will tell.

APM215

I dont want to hyjack this thread, but I'm having trouble with my front turn signal as well. When I press the brake pedal my left front turn signal lights up. I checked the turn signal switch and cleaned the contacts with no change. Any help would be great.

kc4wd

I made sure the connect was good and tight on on the back of the switch but that only screws on one way and it is either on or not. Pretty cut and dry.

You have to take the switch housing apart to clean the contacts, not just the connector on the back.

Lax

Strike two! I took the turn signal switch apart and cleaned the contacts inside the back of the switch and still no turn signal. The contacts inside the back of the switch were not clean but they weren't that bad either. Does anyone have the schematics of the switch so I can see if the one contact for that light is actually sending power to it? I really really hope it is not a short somewhere! I do NOT want to have to trace the greasy wires under the cab and along the frame on my back. Thanks everyone.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks