• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FS: Visual Identification Equipment AN/VVX-1X Strobe Lamp

Major Asstyrd

For sale is something you don't see every day. Visual Identification Equipment AN/VVX-1X strobe light, power supply, spare parts, and 1944 dated manual. From the manual: "This equipment is designed to deliver and extremely bright flash of light at a rate of approximately 1 flash per 1 1/2 seconds. This flash can be seen by aircraft to a distance of 3 miles or more, even in bright sunlight. In clear weather the flash can be seen by another ground vehicle within 1 mile of the equipment." It operates on 12 or 24 volts.

So it appears to be designed for vehicle mounting and pointing the light at a friendly air, sea, or ground unit. Like a "Don't bomb me" signal from a recon unit, beach unit signaling a ship for pizza delivery, or maybe for use at an airborne drop or landing zone? Excellent condition, can't tell if it has been used. I bought it to be a cool accessory for my M20 armored car but never installed it. I have not tried it because I didn't want to go through the exercise of de-powering the capacitors afterward which is supposed to be done before doing anything inside or disconnecting the wires. I don't know if they de-power on their own over time. I don't know how it would work on 6 volts.

This device is so different I can't resist publishing a lot of pictures and making it like an article:

Voltage Converter PP-50/VVX-1X, Identification Lamp VS-1/VVX-1, and Spare Parts Box

Spare vibrator from the spare parts box is to the right. The four holes are for the mounting L-brackets, two per side.

From the manual. The power wire is missing. This is Cord CX-76/VVX-1. It is a 10 gauge, 2 wire cord, 15 feet long, rubber covered. The wires come stripped and tinned at the battery end, and lugs are on the equipment end for the posts. So this would be easy to make and on a vehicle cut to exact length.

Identification Lamp VS-1/VVX-1 is a "gaseous discharge flash lamp and an ignition coil, both mounted in a tubular metal case." This shows the removable shield that makes it directional. A trigger runs along the sided. No doubt this is not to be aimed at anyone nearby. When unattended, best to be made safe by controlling it with vehicle ignition key or a hidden switch on the cable.

This lamp holder is not like the one shown in the manual but ought to work. I'd glue some leather or rubber strips on it to keep the lamp paint pretty

Power wires go through a hole in the case to two terminals with thumbscrews under a cover

Lamp wires insert here. The white trigger wire insulation is bad, should be wrapped. The other connector is for an optional remote control that is not issued with the equipment

Power is stepped up to 2,000 volts DC

Vibrator pulled out. It is held down by a wood block glued inside the cabinet. When trigger is pressed you are supposed to wait 10 seconds for it to power up. It should make a sound and vibrate the cabinet, like a radio of the era. Two vacuum tubes are on the end

There is a switching bar that must be moved to make it 12 or 24 volt. It is the horizontal piece with seven screws

Spare parts box contains bulb, two vacuum tubes, vibrator, fuses, brackets and screws for mounting the box. Ready to go!

If anybody knows about this unit please chime in. It would be a great accessory and for show-and-tell with a 12 volt truck, halftrack, or armored car. It might run well enough on 6 volts too. I have thought a military lights demonstration showcase would be fun at a military meet. Flashlights to searchlights? If someone buys this please demo it at your local event, even in the daytime.

$490 plus shipping to U.S. only. It is heavy, about a 56 pound box. PayPal, MO, personal check. I will deliver for free to the Camp Plymouth Swap Meet & Military Vehicle Show April 28 through May 1 in Plymouth, CA. I'll be at RV site 209 and 211 and will get emails. Cash only there. Event info at www.MVCCNews.net in the event calendar area.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks