• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel can markings

John Shipley

Good evening...Can anyone advise what the proper markings were for 5 gal "jerry cans" during the Korea era? I remember during and post 'Nam, we used "MOGAS" on the cans....THANKS for any advice; trying to make an old M43 accurate as possible...Best regards, John

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the Korean War, from what I understand, paint markings or stencils weren't commonplace on jerry cans. Most cans had the "G" or "W" imprinted on the side, for GAS or WATER, and that was the standard way to differentiate. There weren't a lot of diesels in the military in the early 1950s, so it wasn't that important to tell the difference. It wasn't until the 1960s when the cans started getting confusing with GAS and DIESEL and other things, so if you're going for an early M43 ambulance, a plain green can marked with the "G" imprinted in the side of the can is fine.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I can remember (no pun intended) when we had jerry cans with the top painted red and "MOGAS" stenciled on them. These were usually on the gasser generators and for the cookstove fuel cans.

Not an issue if you put MOGAS in a deuce but putting it in a 5 ton with the Cummins in it could cause problems.

1943ht

Fuel Can Markings

Had a troop do just that very thing one time .. gas in a diesel truck .. it messed it up big time ... The MOGAS stencil made its appearance to my recollection in the early 70's as we had such a mix of vehicle fuel types .. most markings regards painting the tops of cans etc were driven by unit SOP's. Actually the QM Corps discouraged the practice as it was not uniform. My Armor Unit cans were all painted red to assist in ROM (Refuel on the Move) operations in the field.

Lord help the troop that put fuel in a water can .. distinctive difference in the tops of steel water and fuel cans so that you could differentiate them at night in light discipline conditions .. that all changed when we went to the plastic Jerry cans ... Have seen a couple of Korean Era flicks and you can see the "G" marking on cans on some of the vehicles ..watched a flick the other night about an Air-force Colonel who saved a bunch of Korean Orphans (True Depiction) .. great shots in the movie of the units M37 pulling a small grader on an improvised airstrip, with all the goodies on the truck, fuel cans, soft-top frame etc

FrankUSMC

On the jerry can for our 43 jeep, I have it stenciled "CHEAP WINE". It gets a few laughs at the air shows.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

Steve Brown

In the Korean War, from what I understand, paint markings or stencils weren't commonplace on jerry cans. Most cans had the "G" or "W" imprinted on the side, for GAS or WATER, and that was the standard way to differentiate. There weren't a lot of diesels in the military in the early 1950s, so it wasn't that important to tell the difference. It wasn't until the 1960s when the cans started getting confusing with GAS and DIESEL and other things, so if you're going for an early M43 ambulance, a plain green can marked with the "G" imprinted in the side of the can is fine.
I have a 1972 M151A2, new jerry can, where exactly does the MOGAS stencil go?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Steel jerry cans marked DIESEL
mogas1.jpg mogas2.jpg mogas3.jpgmogas.jpg Pretty sure it was up to the local command on where they were marked . Below is from olive-drab.com

You will find many styles and types of markings painted onto Jerry Cans. The most common will be a stencil in black, white, or yellow with an indication of the contents: "MOGAS", "DIESEL", "JP-5" and so forth. In many units, there was a practice of painting MOGAS can tops red and diesel can tops yellow.

Water cans will have "WATER" or just "W" on them, at least until the late 1970s when the plastic water cans were phased in. In some zones of World War II a white cross was painted on water cans, in come cases following the lines of the X molded into the can body. (See USMC photo above). Some metal cans have "WATER" stamped into the metal above the opening, near the handles.

Last edited:

fasttruck

IN RVN I remember seeing gas cans with red caps and diesel cans with yellow caps and the fuel caps on the trucks were painted the same as some of our illiterate troops could not read lettered cans. The fuel blivets were also like color coded. Water cans could be distinguished from fuel cans as they had cam lock lids and fuel cans were threaded caps. When the Army went to plastic water cans a means of obtaining hot showers was denied as you could no longer place a metal water can next to a generator exhaust to heat your water.

Guyfang

Staff member
In Europe, or at least 32AADCOM, from the 70's to the 90's when I got out, Mogas can were painted red, from the top, to the welded joint, about 6-7 inches below the top. The Diesel cans Yellow. No other markings.

EDIT:
After looking at some pictures of REFORGER 1974, I have to back up and regroup. I found pictures of completely red cans. I found pictures of no markings and found pictures of water cans being marked WATER. But in the mid late 70's we spent a whole day cleaning and painting can tops. Sadly, I haven't any pictures.

Last edited:

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IN RVN I remember seeing gas cans with red caps and diesel cans with yellow caps and the fuel caps on the trucks were painted the same as some of our illiterate troops could not read lettered cans. The fuel blivets were also like color coded. Water cans could be distinguished from fuel cans as they had cam lock lids and fuel cans were threaded caps. When the Army went to plastic water cans a means of obtaining hot showers was denied as you could no longer place a metal water can next to a generator exhaust to heat your water.
With the newer heater systems you can place the plastic water can in front of the heater outlet for a while to warm it up to take a shower.
You can also toss packages of hot dogs or other precooked food into the heater duct to get them nice and warm.
Did get me a few funny looks eating bratwursts in the command post at 2200 hours, but I made sure to share, and to have the good mustard as well.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks