• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel filter on m923a2

CPDOG

hi

I have a m923a2 and have replaced the fuel filter on the engine then I noticed a larger one just behind the drivers wheel that the tech manual says only applies to a m923a1? in the tech manual it states that to change this filter to open the drain and isolate the valve from the tank....did this but the valve in question has had its valve stem removed and capped (fuel free flows thru valve body). the filter still functions as advertised. so 2 questions 1. has anyone seen this set up? 2. if it is a hybrid of some sort, does anyone have the correct filter part # for the a1 style filter?

thank you all for the assistance

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The fuel filter you are referring to IS from the A0 and A1 series (and M809 series). As near as I can figure, BMY felt that the truck could use the small spin on filter that is mounted close to the motor on the driver's side along with the inline filter. I actually am not positive that the inline filter was always a part of the design...I'd love someone to confirm that...as that is one puny inline filter for such a large motor (although it is relatively small compared to the NHC250). It is not much bigger than the inline filter on my riding lawn mower (no joke) or my M151A2! I have read that the military retroactively installed the larger A0/A1/M809 series fuel filter that is found under the fender to trucks either as an MWO or at rebuild. With that said, I have a truck from RRAD that has the larger filter, and one without it...so I don't think it was done uniformly. Still, I think the larger filter is better. The benefit, as I have found, to the little inline filter and the fairly small spin on filter is that the inline filter is the one that takes the brunt of the dirt...and needs to get changed more often. It is cheap (about $5 per filter) and easy to change. Still, I prefer my A2s with the upgrade, which amounts to an earlier vintage filter arrangement.

When searching for the fuel filter #, search for the M809 series fuel filter #. If you cannot find it easily, PM me and I will check my filters in the garage.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I have three A3 900 series trucks in the yard. Two of them don't have the big filter and one does. I think it just depended on whether or not they had the big filters available when they rebuilt them. When the trucks were rebuilt they were stripped to the frame and when they put them back together they often used what was there (I was told this by one of the guys that worked at the rebuild facility at Camp Shelby, MS).

CPDOG

Bruce

thanks for the input as to the m809 filters, I am searching for it now. if I cant locate it I will definitely take you up on your offer.

thanks again

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On the truck that has the filter housing under the drivers side fender, how does yours come apart? Does the housing screw off to get to the cartridge inside?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
On the truck that has the filter housing under the drivers side fender, how does yours come apart? Does the housing screw off to get to the cartridge inside?
The 3/4" head bolt on top unscrews. Filter drops. Remember to secure your replacement filter gasket to the housing around the lil teeth.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

74M35A2

No pics needed, we know what you are talking about. The small spin on inline filter is supplied from Cummins on all 8.3's as part of the engine, the military has nothing to do with it. On some A2's, this is all there is, and that is fine. Some also have the large canister filter you soeak of. The science of why some is not clear, but the best fit answer in my opinion is that they had stock of them during the change from A1 to A2 so they just used them until they were exhausted. Not very scientific, I know. Just a guess.

When cleaning or changing the large filter, make sure the water drain is closed in the bottom, the gaskets and seals are sitting correctly, and the square sealing washer under the top bolt sits flush down into the recessed are of the canister mount head. Part number for this filter is in the "stickies" at the top of this 5t forum. Simp made the Excel sheet one, it is in there.

jcollings

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looked at the excel spreadsheet in stickys.
Napa FIL 3401
OE # 8NO205
WIX 44301 ? Does not come up.
It looks like Wix superseded number is 33401 FYI

Csm Davis

Okay the big filter for the A2 is a MWO and should be on all rebuilt trucks after the MWO was issued. But that is not always the case when talking about military trucks. The A2 was built with either just the filter on the motor, which I personally have never seen, or the small inline silver filter. The big filter MWO I believe came out after production stopped, does anybody have a late production A2 with the mount for the filter welded on? The military found that the small silver filter clogged way to often, many drivers have told me of keeping a whole case of them in the truck so they could change them in the field. I personally think they are also a restriction to fuel flow and should be swapped out for the large military filter or a large spin-on type.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

603hellmutt

I have a few sets of the kits to add the big seperator units, my m923a2 has a mount but no unit. I have a small inline filter that looks crudely placed inline

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was told by an old timer that his company supplied the canister filters to the military on a contract for years. He assured me the military canister can filter just as well as 4 inline spin ons and would take about 6 spin ons to equal the capacity of crap that the canister would hold to interrupt flow rate.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I gave Ron a dual spin on setup off a KT38 gen set. 1inch inlet and outlet fittings. Dang 2 filters hold as much as a jerry can. They are LF202 filters

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks