• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Gauge Not Working

Heavysteven

Ok, I wanted to start a new thread with photo's to help out with a common issue.
Fuel Guage Does Not Work.

Yes, I know you can use a multimeter but I think this way is easy.

First there are two grounds, one on the frame near the tank and the other behind the gauge. If your gauge does not work clean them first.

Second pull the plug off the sending unit, this will cause the fuel guage to go full. Ground it to go empty. If that fails replace then either the sending unit or gauge is bad.

In my case I replaced the sending unit, cleaned both grounds, and that solved the problem. I am going to replace the gauge however because it works but not very well.

The real point is to check the grounds first.

phil2968

I dont even want to know how you took that first photo, you must be double jointed in your back.
Thanks for the thread, should help a lot of folks out.

andytk5

Thanks so much for this thread. I'm still pretty new to this since only having my truck for a number of months. My fuel guage does not have that ground cable going from the guage to the dash panel. Oddly the guage was working (I think) since it was reading full and the tank was all the way topped off. It has always had alot of condensation inside the guage but the other day I hopped in it to drive ming up and the guage became fogged out. It almost looked like a haze of smoke was inside the guage swirling? Now the guage reads empty and the tank is about 2/3 full.

Just tried removing the sending unit ground, no change. Then making a quick ground wire for the guage (sending unit reconnected) and no change.

Looks like I just need a new guage?

canadian guy

Thanks so much for this thread. I'm still pretty new to this since only having my truck for a number of months. My fuel guage does not have that ground cable going from the guage to the dash panel. Oddly the guage was working (I think) since it was reading full and the tank was all the way topped off. It has always had alot of condensation inside the guage but the other day I hopped in it to drive ming up and the guage became fogged out. It almost looked like a haze of smoke was inside the guage swirling? Now the guage reads empty and the tank is about 2/3 full.

Just tried removing the sending unit ground, no change. Then making a quick ground wire for the guage (sending unit reconnected) and no change.

Looks like I just need a new guage?

yeah thanx for this thread and the pictures...I am wondering if you have ever figured out you gauge?I have also just looked behind the dash and realized that I do not have a ground behind the gauge and that aslo might be why its jumping all over the place...thx

Scarecrow1

I had a time finding out what happend to my fuel gauge, it worked one day and not the next. I had moister in the gauge anyway so ordered a new one and still no go . I did the meter test and found not one but two plugs were damaged. One of the male connections was in bad shape so I replaced it . The female connection on the sending unit was broken off and missing so that was replaced also. of course I didn't find this out until I had ordered a new sending unit . I put it in the parts bend for a Rainey day ..

Woodsplinter

I don't believe that ground cable is standard, as the instrument panel is grounded to the dash through the four screws in the corners of the panel. If the other gauges work it's probably not a "panel-to-dash" ground issue.
I found it easier to get to the gauges by turning the screws a quarter turn and leaning the panel forward. (You may need to reach behind to disconnect the tach & speedo cables to get enough clearance- that's a lot easier if you remove the map compartment).

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ground wire is indeed an add-on. Woodsplinter is correct that the instrument cluster uses the locking screws to provide the ground.

Anytime you can add an additional ground is a good thing.

3rdmdqm

My fuel gauge works, however the needle begins bouncing wildly back and forth every now and again. More now than again. Grounding issue I'm guessing?

Scarecrow1

3rdmqm if you are looking at your gauge run your hand under the dash and feel for the wire on the right side of the gauge. Pull it off and look into the boot and make sure the connection is not broken like mine was . What happens is so long as the boot is pushing the connection together it works . When your moving or the vibrations break the connection it will go straight to ful . That's what was wrong with mine . It may be your problem to

Woodsplinter

Is it bouncing while you're stopped or moving?- not clear from you're post, but mine bounces like crazy when driving. Should not do so when stopped, of course.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks