• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel Lines Diameter

Explorer0863

Hello everyone. I am making my own fuel lines. 1963 M37B1. I have several TMs but I can’t find any reference regarding the line diameter. I know they sell a kit, but where is the fun in that? Any of you know the diameter?

INFChief

Hello everyone. I am making my own fuel lines. 1963 M37B1. I have several TMs but I can’t find any reference regarding the line diameter. I know they sell a kit, but where is the fun in that? Any of you know the diameter?
Do you have part #’s or Native Stock Numbers for the fuel line?

INFChief

The first thing I should have mentioned was whether you’ve looked at the extensive TM collection here?

INFChief

I have at least 5 TMs. I didn’t find the diameter in any of them. Do you know the diameter?
If you can get me the part # or NSN then I might be able to find it. Also, most parts TM’s will show a “BULK” part # and may include sizes. The bulk # is typically for parts that could be made by unit mechanics. Making a fuel line or brake line would not be uncommon back then.

Canadianz

I believe the fuel lines are all 5/16, if my memory is correct. I did the truck with a 20’ roll of cunifer lines. Definitely practise making the flares, as the nickel copper stuff is softer, and requires a more gentle approach than steel.

Edit- you can also buy stainless steel spring armour if you want too. The end result looks like stock but will outlast steel.
Cheers
Rob

Explorer0863

I believe the fuel lines are all 5/16, if my memory is correct. I did the truck with a 20’ roll of cunifer lines. Definitely practise making the flares, as the nickel copper stuff is softer, and requires a more gentle approach than steel.

Edit- you can also buy stainless steel spring armour if you want too. The end result looks like stock but will outlast steel.
Cheers
Rob
Thanks for the info. Just found the spring armour on Amazon, of all places.

pjvargas

Army TM 9-8030 Operation and Organizational Maintenance ¾ Ton 4x4 Cargo Truck M37 May 1955
Paragraph 141. Fuel lines and Fuel lank Vent Lines
a. General.
If replacement fuel lines are not available as assemblies, use 5/16-inch seamless tubing, flexible conduit, and 5/16-inch inverted flared tube fitting nuts. Double flare the tube at each end, using a flaring tool.

NOTES.
The double flare is a 45-degree flare, not the more modern 37-degree (single) flare.
You can buy the straight tubing in different lengths at NAPA, double-flared on both ends. This is nice because when you cut it to length you have a nice factory 45-degree double-flare on one end and you only have to flare one end.
Tubing (in rolls which can be a bear to straighten out for use), fittings, and armor is available online at www. inlinetube.com.
Make sure all your fittings are for the 5/16" tubing and have internal or external 45-degree flares.
If you're going to do this yourself you'll need some tubing bending tools as well as a quality flaring tool.

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Army TM 9-8030 Operation and Organizational Maintenance ¾ Ton 4x4 Cargo Truck M37 May 1955
Paragraph 141. Fuel lines and Fuel lank Vent Lines
a. General.
If replacement fuel lines are not available as assemblies, use 5/16-inch seamless tubing, flexible conduit, and 5/16-inch inverted flared tube fitting nuts. Double flare the tube at each end, using a flaring tool.

NOTES.
The double flare is a 45-degree flare, not the more modern 37-degree (single) flare.
You can buy the straight tubing in different lengths at NAPA, double-flared on both ends. This is nice because when you cut it to length you have a nice factory 45-degree double-flare on one end and you only have to flare one end.
Tubing (in rolls which can be a bear to straighten out for use), fittings, and armor is available online at www. inlinetube.com.
Make sure all your fittings are for the 5/16" tubing and have internal or external 45-degree flares.
If you're going to do this yourself you'll need some tubing bending tools as well as a quality flaring tool.
Agreed and don't buy a cheap HF double flaring tool.
Spend a few bucks and get one that will last as long as you.
Mine is over 40 years old now and it still works as well as the day that I bought it.

87cr250r

Ridgid makes the best hand flaring tools.

If you don't need a case, this is a good deal.

Otherwise 33927 comes with a case for $40 more.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks