• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel shut off solenoid, upgrade or replacement?

Hammer

Ok, so I was having a hard time starting the 818 yesterday, and when it DID start, it would just SHUT OFF. A little head scratching later I figured it HAD to be the fuel shut off solenoid. I turned the knob and it fired right up!
Anyways, I went to check the wires to the solenoid, and they were black at the nut. I went to see if they were loose and the entire bolt and nut came OUT of the solenoid (sparks included!).

So, what are my options for a replacement or upgraded option for this?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/25086-fuel-shut-off-valve-cummins-250-a.html
There is a part listed in that post, but otherwise I don't see many other options.
I personally like to upgrade anything I have to replace. So I was wondering if there was anything available for me on this one?

The manual shut off valve is leaking a little fuel, but from a post on here it looks like I might get lucky and just replace an O-ring to fix that small leak.

Now that I have my newest trailer home, my truck is parked. When the bolt came out of the solenoid, I also got a bit of fuel leaking, so it is deadlined until I get that fixed.

Any ideas or options?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No upgrades. They have been about the same since they started using them. Let me look, I think I might have a whole FSOV in the garage.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
if will does not, the bepco part # is 6997324, 24v, any truck shop will have one, i got mine from napa, also install a spring on the manual fuel shut off, so in case you have to turn in ths over ride, you can still shut down the motor, just like a deuce (this was WWs idea)

Hammer

Thanks guys!
I already put a spring on the manual setup and used it like that to get my trailer the other day. I need to make a better version of the return spring I have on there, but I will continue to use that setup with any newer setup I get.

Will, thanks. If there not any upgrades, then stock military is prefered.
Ron, yeah, I was referencing your post for that bepco part number.
And there is always ebay........

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
"then stock military is prefered." there really is no stock military, this is a stock over the counter item in both 12 and 24v, been in use for ever

Hammer

Gotcha, I was curious to that part, and was wondering if there was a better version available for them.
Oh well, I guess I just need another and I will be golden.
Still odd how that stud completely fried in the solenoid like that.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Funny thing , Daniel and I did some work on my 818 and he turned the screw it , runs fine . Solinoid right? I put the new one on , nothing still. Its the electrical line that comes off the solinoid. Might want to check that also. - Jay

Hammer

Oh, there is definitely POWER to that line. But the stud that it goes to (the one that goes into the solenoid itself), is FRIED. I went to wiggle the wire and the entire stud came OUT of the solenoid, throwing some sparks around when it did (forgot I had the ignition on.....)

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
BJORN or anybody eales A QUESTION

some of the cranes that i have run have the 290 version of the 855, they don't have a motor control box, what does the control box control, i know it controls fuel shut off solenoid, it also controls start, all of that being said, can wires be run from the run/start switch on the dash straight to the fuel shut off solenoid and to the starter , bypassing the motor control box , be wired just like in the cranes, straight from the run/start switch,. i do know that you CANNOT roll the 809 series to start if it shut down while running (IE the fsds turns off). i tried leaving the 819 in gear,and tried to start, no go, had to have no rpm or be at a stand still, I'm guessing that there is a oil pressure switch in the box to prevent attempted start while the engine is already running. is there anything that the box does or controls that we need that we cant go around

Last edited:

Hammer

Well, I FINALLY got around to replacing the solenoid.

FYI, Cummins northwest wanted $76 for that sucker!
I got it for $30 of flea-bay.

Pulled apart the manual valve, turns out that the shaft is bent, and that is what is causing the leak.
Anyone have an extra one of those they want to sell me?

kurtkds

I think I too may be needing a new sol. valve. Unless I have another issue, Twice in the last couple weeks I've had the 818 shut down on me. The first time I had been moving a trailer around the property and was getting it set in place and the truck just died. It sat for a few minutes while I inspected the IP and area around there this had been one of the warmer days in a while. Got back in the cab and she fired right back up. The next time was yesterday again another warm day for Juneuary (got to about 72 Deg), I had taken a trailer to a friends house a couple miles away, was unhooking the trailer and she shut down again, I didn't have a meter with me to check power to the shut off valve to see if that was the problem. I didn't want to spend too much time over there, so I turned on the bypass to get me home.

I let her cool down for a while then checked the power which was good, shut off the bypass, hit the starter and she ran fine.

So I've got 2 thoughts on this problem.

1 there is something shutting off voltage to the Shut off valve, Over temp Fault?
2 The coil on the shut off valve has a bad spot in it and opens up when it gets "too" hot.

I'm thinking more likely #2 is the problem.

Time to review the TM's so I can review the electrical circuit controlling the shut off Sol.

Hammer

ARGH!
Well, it looks like I had a second one of these fry!
I caught this one before it did a total melt down. But it was starting to let the magic smoke out.

I had the engine warming up, then the engine just died. A few second later I heard a little hissing, then smelled the smoke.

Any ideas why I had TWO of these do this?
Both of them were IN the solenoid part itself. I will try and pull this one apart. There might be enough left for me to see WHY it toasted itself.

I still haven't got a manual shutoff yet, so for now I have to pop the hood and turn the screw to start/stop it. No fun.

Kurt, the control box controls the fuel solenoid. You can run a bypass wire to it to test and see if it stays running.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hope this is the correct place for this problem. Just bought a 915. It starts and runs great, however it will not shut down using the key. You have to manually close the fuel shut off on the pump to stop it. I am sure its in the electrical system ,wiring,switch and fuel solenoid, Anyone have any other ideas? I have had a number of vehicles that wouldn't start but never one that wouldn't stop.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks