• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel shut solenoid issues.

big block 88

So my m925a1 with nhc 250 is driving me nuts. Since we picked it up with 5k miles a saw red paint on the front bumper and it was marked throttle sticks. I never experienced that issue or what i would consider throttle sticking. But the trucks fuel shut off solenoid has never worked. Last friday i through a new solenoid on and tried it out and BAM!!! It worked perfectly! Then saturday during the parade it failed again.... So now i am back to using the emergency shut off handle and that sucks.

So my question is, what are the odds the brand new solenoid went out already. Do i have another issue? Perhaps the control box is having an issue?

sandcobra164

I've read issues concerning this and I'm confused as well. If I read correctly, the shutoff solenoid is set up for two wires to connect to it. One to pull in the solenoid when starting and one to hold while in the run position. My truck has 1 wire going to it and works just fine with the NHC 250. I have noticed that if I bump the ignition switch to off, it will shut off even if I switch it back to on before the engine has stopped turning. It will start back up without hesitation though so there is something to it. Perhaps you got a 12V solenoid and it burned up quickly being hooked to a 24V system.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
There is a such thing as bad new parts per Mr. Jeff Davis. As i have been lectured on. I will have a couple good new ones on wednesday if you want one. They are red top solenoids. I think i pay around 30$ each for them. It is what I run .

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

big block 88

Thank you gentlemen, i cant describe how insanely happy i was to have a working shut off switch and not have to use the emergency shut off handle LOL.

My 925 has 2 wire put together to one eyelet to hook to the single terminal on the shut off. I also see now there is a fuel leak around there somewhere as the block is wet below the pump. I will check into it tonight after work if the sun stays up long enough (**** daylight savings).

Simp i may hit you up if it is in fact bad it is a red top made in england it said. We all know how the english are with anything electrical.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
It is either 2 wires to one eyelit at the solenoid or the 2 are spliced together right at the hold tab on the bottom left bolt on the inlet elbow piece.

big block 88

Sooooo... After some finagling everything seemed fine started the truck hit the kill switch and nothing truck stayed running. Out of frustration more than anything else i tapped the solenoid with my combo wrench (not very hard mind you) and the truck shut right down. I have dad restart and kill it again it shuts right off. I think im some kind of truck whisperer and have him restart for th 3rd time hit the kill switch and nothing it stays running again. I tap ot again and the truck dies right away.

So is this somthing that will get better with cycling it or is it just never going to work right. I called the cummins dealer who told me they have one solenoid in stock.... Yeah $65 and thats just a rebuild kit. So thats not an option.

Simp sir if i can get one of your just to have i would appreciate it very much. I can paypal yuh.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Sooooo... After some finagling everything seemed fine started the truck hit the kill switch and nothing truck stayed running. Out of frustration more than anything else i tapped the solenoid with my combo wrench (not very hard mind you) and the truck shut right down. I have dad restart and kill it again it shuts right off. I think im some kind of truck whisperer and have him restart for th 3rd time hit the kill switch and nothing it stays running again. I tap ot again and the truck dies right away.

So is this somthing that will get better with cycling it or is it just never going to work right. I called the cummins dealer who told me they have one solenoid in stock.... Yeah $65 and thats just a rebuild kit. So thats not an option.

Simp sir if i can get one of your just to have i would appreciate it very much. I can paypal yuh.
Order it thru the link above. That is my supplier as well. It is a cummins part and only 25$ no sense in paying double shipping.

Swamp Donkey

The Engineer
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Verify the manual overide screw is screwed all the way out first.

If the truck stays running when power is removed from the solenoid then the issue is in the small valve body attached to the solenoid. The solenoid only opens the valve when power is applied. When power is removed, a spring inside the valve body closes it. Either the plunger is gunked up or the plunger spring has become weak. The solenoid has nothing to do with the closing of the valve, which kills the engine. That part is mechanical.

Here's a link to the solenoid and valve body.

http://www.eriksmilitarysurplus.com/fucova24vofo.html

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Adding information to this one.

I just had a package show up as i had ordered a few more of these while back.

Interstate McBee # M-3035344

Includes O-ring on pump side. 20170705_141616.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

toudi

the same problem with my Hemtt, i need to replace solenoid every couple months
solenoid is always under power, even if the truck engine is off
after each ride i need to disconnect the battery, because they are dead next day

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks