• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel tank crud..

Lax

For the first time in years I decided to clean my tank and what i found is scary. There feels like about 1/4 inch of thick crud lining the bottom. I have a series of parades starting next weekend that my Deuce will be the star of the show and I would like to clean my tank really well (and never let it get this way again!) then change all my filters, etc.

Any suggestions on how to really clean the tank short of removing it and doing major surgery? I promise never to let it get this bad again.. It still has about 30 gals in it so that makes things much more difficult. Thanks guys!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it like tar on the bottom. That stuff I forget the name but large storage tanks and large fuel bunkers for ships can have the problem. I had two tanks that had it and just replaced the tanks. I tried gasoline and it soften it a bit but then it just made it harder. From what I have read heat is the only way to make it drip out. Steam cleaning did not work so if you got tar you might be looking at a big problem. Here is a article about the Asphalt tar.http://www.diesel-fuels.com/pdf/Guide_1.pdf

Last edited:

rustystud

Biodiesel

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Agreed. Biodiesel will clean all that crap out of your tank. Just don't let it circulate through your fuel system. Take you fuel line off at the tank and reattach it to the return line. Then let your fuel pump run for a few hours or maybe days depending.
Afterwards drain out all the crud. I would drain off and save all your good diesel first. The stuff that comes out after the Biodiesel does it thing I would get rid of.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If biodiesel would cut it how would straight vegetable oil do? I still have the tanks sitting around and thinking about trying some just for smits and giggles. The correct name for the tar is asphaltenes and seems to be a big problem in the oil fields too.

Last edited:

DeadParrot

One of the reasons for the crud is that for many decades, diesel was the crap left over after the refiners made gas, Jet-A, lubricating oil, naptha and all the other light stuff. The next stuff after diesel came out was ship bunker fuel and asphalt. That is why it used to be a cheap fuel. Also why most diesel vehicles have a rather robust filtration system. The stuff we get today doesn't have much in common with the old style refinery dregs diesel.

Csm Davis

If biodiesel would cut it how would straight vegetable oil do? I still have the tanks sitting around and thinking about trying some just for smits and giggles. The correct name for the tar is asphaltenes and seems to be a big problem in the oil fields too.
No straight vegetable oil is not going to clean anything, biodiesel is more than just a mixture of oil and alcohol, it chemically changes the oil when you make biodiesel.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK I will find a station that has it and try it in a jar to see how long it takes to dissolve it. I am betting it will not just make it a liquid in a short time just sitting there. From reading more looks like there are some chemicals that are offered but they are very dangerous. I got lucky I had parts trucks to get a different tank to run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks