• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 truck located

USMC 00-08

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I don't know what this truck is really called. In my searches on the internet, I can only see that it is possibly a G506. It looks to me like a CCKW but 4X4 instead of 6X6. I do not have any pictures of it because I just found it parked in a farmers junk and did not have my camera with me. I plan on talking with it's owner to see if he will sell it.

Any information on this would be appreciated as well as what they may be worth. I know that is hard to tell without pictures. I would consider the truck to be on the rough side with little to no rust. How difficult would it be to find parts for this? It also does not have a bed on it.

paulfarber

I really don't see a lot of Chevy trucks around. They are out there, but when I go to MV shows they don't seem to show up. I was looking at a Chevy and had to pass due to funds.. but the big ones are GAS TANK, Bed, Spare Tire Carrier. Most sheet metal is the same as the CCKW (not identical for some parts.. but close enough). Very early G506s will have logos on the side panels.. they look nice.

Condition? The big three: Engine, Bed, Brakes. If the engine and brakes are shot then its a parts truck and depending on the parts still on it $500-$1200 tops for me. Rebuilding an engine is a $2k expense. Brakes can run $500-700 and rebuilding a axle is surprisingly expensive... plan on $200-500 per axle for a full end to end rebuild.

USMC 00-08

Thanks for the info. I will ask and see what the owner would sell it for.

paulfarber....did you happen to serve in the Marines within the past 10 years? I knew someone with the same name.

paulfarber

I got out of the Navy in late 94.

Only Marines I saw were in Kings Bay, Panama Canal and Bangor, WA.

God help us if there are two of me :twisted:

Varyag

I have one, just need to navigate the family. I had a source on it for "just get it out of her" the guy who offered passed and I am not going to come in and vulture the truck. Once the family is in the clear I will bring it up. I am not in a hurry and it isn't going anywhere.

paulfarber

Here is a '44 Chevy my dad has in AZ, if it helps any. Needs a resto for sure.
That looks like a good start... all depend on the engine.

Its really hard to balance value/price... beds are a BIATCH to find (but are out there.. plus one guy is making his own). But the expense of getting the engine running, or 'correct' can sink $2-3k.

Full rebuild kits are out there, but I just priced one for a jeep engine (L-134) and they are $800+, then add machining, any repairs etc.

woodwalker

I would not pay a lot stripped 506 are very common in our neck of the world.
I know of 6 with in a 30 mile radius of Pueblo all about the same condition cab and chassie all the hard to find stuff missing
My advice is do a little research and start a search one that you like will come along. If this one is supper cheap > $500 might be a decent deal
remeber what you paid for that advice when judgeing it's merit. ;)

USMC 00-08

I thought I had seen one a while back on my way to Colorado Springs. I believe it was 15-20 miles east of Pueblo on the south side of Hwy 50. Next time I am that way, I'll look closer.

Thanks for the advice!

USMC 00-08

Ha! Maybe it is. I just caught it out of the corner of my eye as I was driving. I'll have to pay closer attention next time. I'll PM you the next time I am able to make it out there.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks